Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine/AC fan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:21 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine/AC fan?

Hi

For a 2000 Discovery II (classic look)
Can anyone tell me if the large fan behind the grill/radiator is responsible for cooling the air condition, engine, or both?

If the fan doesn't spin, before bringing it for repairs, what's the best and worst case scenario?

Thanks

Old 07-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are 2 fans, I don't know which one you are referring to.
There is an electric fan mounted in front of the ac condenser, that is for the ac system and it also provides engine cooling when idling in traffic. Then there is the fan attached to the fan pulley on the front of the engine, this uses a viscous clutch and may feel loose when you turn it by hand.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Drifting
Default Engine/AC fan?

I'm not sure exactly which fan you are referring to, the a/c condenser fan or viscous fan. I just replaced by A/C condenser fan (which is directly behind the grill in front of the a/c condenser and radiator). That is a very easy repair. The viscous fan is the radiator cooling fan inside the engine compartment directly behind the radiator. I haven't had to deal with the viscous fan, so I can not help with that one.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:42 AM
4wd Low

Unsure which one since I saw the fan lying in the trunk rather than in its naturally attached location. Does either fan portents to hard to resolve or costly problems

This is a 2000 model with great condition sporting 105k miles that costs in the mid $3k range. It's problem is this yet to be identified fan and air condition not working.

While it drives well, what dangers might I incur if the viscous fan or air condenser fan is broken?

This would be an upgrade from my 97. Any parts worth salvaging from the 97 Discovery I for this D2? Or is the difference too great.

Last edited by BoHuang; 07-16-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Banned

The fans are there for a reason, which ever one is out needs to be replaced. Driving without the fan can lead to over heating the engine, and that kills the engine.
Not much from a DI fits on a DII, I think you can reuse the green oval on the grill
The ac fan looks like this: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/JRP100000G.cfm
The engine fan looks like this: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR4959.cfm

Last edited by Bundu; 07-16-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 AM
4wd Low

I think it's the AC fan. Taking a look at my 97 there are two, located between the grill and radiator. Wonder why the 2000 model has one such fan taken out rather than being left in.

To test if connection parts are broken, might it be attachable by hand when I go see it again? Might there be signs suggesting the engine has been overheating?

It sounds like it's easy to replace the AC fan. What about diagnossing the cause of it not spinning? I am concerned the abundance of electric systems in D2 may complicate the repair costs.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Banned

The design has changed, a DI has 2 ac fans and a DII only has 1 ac fan. The ac fans do die, so it's possible that the fan you saw is not working anymore. You can test it by connecting it to a 12V power source. The fan is easy to replace if that is the problem.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:51 AM
4wd Low

I have to drive an hour if I want to test it. For now we can assume:

-If the fan is physically damaged and can't plug back in, replace cost: $360

-If the fan's electric motor fails, need to replace. Replace cost: $360

-The electric system the fan naturally draws current from may be malfunctioning. Would it be easy to test with a voltage/current meter? Repair cost: who knows.

With these uncertainties and unworking AC, what price should I aim for if I decide to go with it?

Is $360 the going rate for this fan at most places or the generic fan car shops may order much cheaper?

Can I salvage one of my 97 fans for it? Edit: never mind, it is incompatible.

Last edited by BoHuang; 07-16-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

There are too many unknowns, it could be as simple as a fuse or a much bigger problem.
You can get lucky with a used fan, but let's face it a 10 year old fan is a 10 year old fan. You can try find a fan motor but chances are good you will not find anything. Try at other places like www.dap-inc.com and www.bputah.com and www.roversnorth.com

Old 07-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Drifting
Default A/C fan

I just replaced my condenser fan, very easy. Download the Rave manual and you won't have any issues with the replacement. I ordered a used fan w/condenser on *bay for $100 shipped. I would have order this one, http://www.roverlandparts.com/1999-2...oolingfan.aspx , but they were out of stock at the time. From the research I did and the information I saw, the a/c will not run if this fan is not functioning properly.

Quick Reply: Engine/AC fan?