Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Flush ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Cranky-here is what I would do if I were you, and I am assuming that you have a petrol Disco and not a diesel.
10,000 km is 6200 miles, thats to long in my opinion for oil changes.
If you are using full synthetic motor oil then I would change it every 5,000 miles, thats 8,000 km.
If you are using dino oil then every 3,000 miles or 4800 km.
Change the oil and filter and put in diesel motor oil, drive for 1500 miles (2400 km) and then change it again and use diesel oil once again.
Go another 1500 miles and then change it and use whatever oil you want.
I use full synthetic, Mobil 1 15w-50 for the summer and Mobil 1 5w-30 for the winter.
It gets cold here in Michigan, I dont know how cold it gets for you down south there on the other side of the world.
I say to use diesel oil because it has a very high detergent content and works great as a engine cleaner.
Full synthetic oil is the same way but it is alot more expensive and for the short oil changes why waste good money.
You can stick with diesel oil, you can use a good name brand dino oil or you can use a name brand full synthetic.
If you do a engine flush with a chemical you run the risk of dislodging sludge and clogging oil passages inside the engine.
If you use diesel oil and do the short change intervals the oil filter will catch all the junk and filter it out before it does any harm.
Does that help?
And let me add that engine oil additives are a waste of money, they actually have negative affects on the motor oil.
Oil is not meant to be used with additives like Lucas or Rislone, STP etc.
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
Spend a hour and read through this web site, I think he explains it pretty well and uses plain words that I can understand.
www.bobistheoilguy.com is another good one.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers,
Yeah I read all that stuff - it's not great on detail is it! LOL

I probably won't be doing more than 3,000 Klm per year. I ride my bicycle to work and only drive the truck once a month plus a few off road trips.

I want to keep this as the family holiday vehicle - but I am concerned about it developing problems as it gets older.

I live in a sub tropical climate - maybe like Florida. winters are 8c to 20c and summers are 20c to 30c.

I'd like to get the motor clean and keep it that way.

So how am I going to do that? your solution will take me 2 years!
________
Marie_Amore live

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:04 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you taken a look under your rocker covers to see if you have issues? This is what I would do in your position:

1) Use auto rx: http://auto-rx.com/. Be sure to use dino oil like it says for the clean and rinse phase then swith to shell rotella 5w-40 synthetic or 15w-40 dino. Follow the directions. Autorx is lanolin based and very safe and effective for sludge and deposit removal but not so good for cosmetic varnish issues.

or

2) Switch to shell rotella 5w-40 or 15w-40 with a full quart of marvelous mystery oil for 1500 miles Oil change interval (OCI). Next OCI add the quart for the last 100-300 miles before the change. MMO is very good at cleaning sludge and deposits also and is safe to add up to a quart per OCI. It will thin your oil though so don't add that much to say a 5w-30 in your climate (5w-30 in your climate sucks for your engine anyways IMO).

I suggest the rotella because it is a heavy duty engine oil and has high levels of ZDDP and detergents. Mobil 1 15w-50 and the Mobil 1 High Mileage or extended protection oils are also very good. If you know you have deposit issues you can use an engine flush like Neutra 131, B12 Chemtool or Amsoil Engine flush as per the direction. Just don't put any strain on your engine while the solvents are in there.

Last edited by lipadj46; 10-16-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cranky
Cheers,
Yeah I read all that stuff - it's not great on detail is it! LOL

I probably won't be doing more than 3,000 Klm per year. I ride my bicycle to work and only drive the truck once a month plus a few off road trips.

I want to keep this as the family holiday vehicle - but I am concerned about it developing problems as it gets older.

I live in a sub tropical climate - maybe like Florida. winters are 8c to 20c and summers are 20c to 30c.

I'd like to get the motor clean and keep it that way.

So how am I going to do that? your solution will take me 2 years!
Drive it man!!! Enjoy the truck!!

I would change the oil and filter every 3 months for the first 2 oil changes then every 6 months after that.
Like lipadj46 said use either a diesel oil in 15w-50 or a full synthetic oil in a 15w-50 or a 20w-50 for where you live.
Since you dont drive it much change it every 6 months and dont worry about it.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Mudding

Oh I enjoy it. The bike is part fitness - part saving $. It's more fun riding in peak hour anyway. The driving I do once a month is off road so that is a bonus.

It's got Valvoline "engine armour" 10W 40 - is this for cooler climates? It just went in 1000 klm ago with a new filter.

I haven't taken the rocker cover off (it has been that way for a while). When I was having overheating problems it would get louder when the engine got hot. You can't hear it under engine braking, only comes at idle and under load. I was told it was a stuck lifter by my ex-mechanic (who is turning out to be not too thorough/honest/knowledgeable).

An additive of some sort might sort the problem out sooner rather than later. Are these products fairly similar? Auto-rx and MMO may not be available in Australia.

I was going to do an upper engine clean as well - you guys all use Seafoam. Can't get it out here. Subaru do an arisol version but i'm not sure if it does as good a job. Any thoughts?
________
Live Sex

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:04 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

GM has an upper engine cleaner that people seem to really like. I'm sure the subaru stuff is fine too. Sorry did not see you were in Australia I'm not sure if mmo or autorx is available in Australia I don't think so. There are a bunch of guys from Australia over on bobistheoilguy.com so look over there for a recommended flush though you will hear people tell stories about aussies using kerosene and diesel as flushes.

On the valvoline 10W-40, yes that is fine oil but if you want to clean, using a HDEO or synthetic high mileage or extended protection oil would be better.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by cranky
And the result??

I'd like to know.

Or do I need to make an international call to Disco Mike!
Once he and I talk, he will get back to you.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Once he and I talk, he will get back to you.
Thanks mate.
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:00 AM.