Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Engine misfire... LR dealer doesn't know what's wrong? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/engine-misfire-lr-dealer-doesnt-know-whats-wrong-23810/)

sna77 07-29-2009 07:23 PM

Engine misfire... LR dealer doesn't know what's wrong?

oyyy.... Disco is misfiring, and the LR dealer can't figure out what's wrong with it... Had the plugs and cables changed at 60k (70k now) and they just rechanged the cables, but its still misfiring... any ideas?

thx

JBEGIN 07-29-2009 07:25 PM

is your check engine light on? if it is get the codes read at auto zone, advanced auto parts, pep boys, any of those places, and get back to us

smokeyrabbit 07-29-2009 07:43 PM

What year Disco? Find a new service shop. Send me $200 in diagnostic fees and I won't be able to tell you what's going on also, but I'll give you an e-hug.

sna77 07-29-2009 07:46 PM

Wish I'd posted here first... The car is now at Land Rover Hanover, in Hanover, Ma. My local indy shop couldn't figure out what's wrong with it, so I had it taken in to the local LR dealer. They had it all day today and called me and told me they still don't know whats wrong with it. WTF?!

The car is a 2003 Disco II SE.

robdis96 07-29-2009 08:02 PM

do you have a check engine light, if so you need to get the code read and get back asap as previously stated. Could be different things and not necessarily a misfire. What wires and plugs did you have installed. How is it running, any other details would be great. Good luck with the dealers. I always try to come here first and fix it in my garage.

Spike555 07-29-2009 08:14 PM

If the dealer installed new leads then they need to look at the coils.
If the coils are fine then tell them that you will buy new ones but you want them to intall them.
www.apexperformance.net, get the Magnecor plug wires.

sna77 07-29-2009 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by robdis96 (Post 129405)
do you have a check engine light, if so you need to get the code read and get back asap as previously stated. Could be different things and not necessarily a misfire. What wires and plugs did you have installed. How is it running, any other details would be great. Good luck with the dealers. I always try to come here first and fix it in my garage.

Check engine light came on last month so i brought it to my indy shop. Here's the history:

- Initial fault codes were: P0302 PO303 according to indy shop.
- Indy shop did a 60k mile service that included spark plugs and also did wires
- check engine came back, same fault codes
- changed #3 ignition coil pack, still throwing code P0303

Lost faith in indy guy, took to LR dealer. They've had it 2 days and so far:

- swaped plugs
- looked at individual wires
- changed cylinder 3 ignition coil pack again
- still throwing same error and they have no idea whats wrong with it

oyyyy

Spike555 07-29-2009 08:20 PM

They need to swap the #3 coil with the #6 and see if the mis fire moves to #6.

sna77 07-29-2009 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 129411)
They need to swap the #3 coil with the #6 and see if the mis fire moves to #6.

If it moves... what does that mean?

If it doesn't move, what does that mean?

jazdisco2002 07-29-2009 08:27 PM

if it moves its in the coils. if it doesnt then it might be ecu related.

sna77 07-29-2009 08:28 PM

What's an ECU replacement go for? Trying to prepare myself for worse possible scenarios.

Spike555 07-29-2009 08:31 PM

www.roverlandparts.com
www.autosportunlimited.com
Look up and price a ECU for your truck, DO NOT let the dealer replace it for you IF and only IF you need one, they will charge you dealer rates and you could buy a whole new truck for the price that they would charge you.

sna77 07-29-2009 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 129419)
www.roverlandparts.com
www.autosportunlimited.com
Look up and price a ECU for your truck, DO NOT let the dealer replace it for you IF and only IF you need one, they will charge you dealer rates and you could buy a whole new truck for the price that they would charge you.

So... $450 for a new ECU:
http://www.roverlandparts.com/2003-2...olunitecu.aspx

Apx how long would this take and indy shop to install / program?

Spike555 07-29-2009 09:03 PM

No programming needed, just plug it in and go.

A hour or so to remove and replace.
Its pretty easy, you could do it.

And remember that RoverLandParts is a LR recycler, that that ECU is used.
You can price a new on at www.atlanticbritish.com

roverguy7 07-31-2009 06:41 PM

on a 03 the ecu would need to be coded to the car... but i doubt its the ecu. 2 and 3 are on the same coil, but if thats been replaced multiple times, probly not the problem, unless its the connector to it. seems like theyre convinced its ignition... have they done compressions readings, maybe a good ol vacuum test. itd be a coinsidance if its not ignition, but ill seen stranger things. how bad was the misfire? was it just throwing the code, was the ses light flashing or could you feel it mis just sometimes?

sna77 07-31-2009 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by roverguy7 (Post 129731)
on a 03 the ecu would need to be coded to the car... but i doubt its the ecu. 2 and 3 are on the same coil, but if thats been replaced multiple times, probly not the problem, unless its the connector to it. seems like theyre convinced its ignition... have they done compressions readings, maybe a good ol vacuum test. itd be a coinsidance if its not ignition, but ill seen stranger things. how bad was the misfire? was it just throwing the code, was the ses light flashing or could you feel it mis just sometimes?

I got some BS today about how they were waiting for a different computer to come online to read it (that didn't do anything), so I again insisted they swap the coils... Ugh...

sna77 08-08-2009 08:32 AM

After 3 days of the car sitting... the LR dealer calls me back and said they had the foreman from another LR dealer come over and look at it... He believes it is a bad fuel injector... And they are backordered... Ugh.

Anyone have any experience with this latest issue?

lipadj46 08-08-2009 08:43 AM

If it's a bad fuel injector that's a pretty easy fix and pretty surprising they missed it. So are you paying for this repair or are they re-fixing what they already "fixed"? Atlantic British has fuel injectors in stock so the dealership should be able to dig one up pretty fast.

Disco Mike 08-08-2009 09:03 AM

If it were a bad injector you would have codes showing that, call inject codes are like the misfire codes except they start as a 200 and work up.
There is no new special scanner needed, the dealer is stalling.