Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine noise?

Just wondering if you guys could take a quick look and see if you can see if you can hear the same ticking/knocking that I can? Or I'm just being paranoid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd4CpcVuo3U

Old 04-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Turn up the radio, thats what I do.

Willie

Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I heard it.
Remove your serp belt, then try again, is it still there?

Old 04-11-2010, 04:35 AM
5th Gear

Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default knock?

Hey There, If it is the slight knock i heard mine is doing the same thing. I actually here it more in the cab then out of the cab if that makes any sense. its like i have a td5 diesel. i am ready to take my oil pan off as well as my valve covers to get mine resolved. Let me know what you find on your end as well i will let you know how mine is going.

thanks Chris

Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On my 97 DI, I had a slight ticking type noise, it turned out tu be a burned out gasket at the y-pipe on the right side. If you held your hand in that area, you could feel the pressure of the exhaust hitting your skin. Hold it close to the flange, be careful not to burn yourself, it gets hot fast.

Rather easy to replace. The older the vehicle, the more likely the studs have become brittle from the repeated heat cycling. Be prepared to remove exhaust manifold to remove broken studs if that occurs. If the nuts and studs have not become completely frozen, you should be able to unbolt with a liberal coating of PB Blaster.

If they have frozen together badly, you have a lot more work than a simple loosen nuts and replace gasket. It could be a 10 minute easy job or a nasty all day affair.

Good luck.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:13 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not had time to remove the serp belt, but I will let you know how that goes spike. It does sound louder in the cabin most of the time. I have tried feeling for exhaust leaks, but I can not feel and puffs and I don't see any carbon deposits near gasket areas. After it warms up it quiets down mostly, but at start up it is pretty noticeable. I gave one of the guys I work with a ride and he asked if I was ever stationed overseas wondering how I got a TD5 haha. This summer I'm gonna drop the oil pan and check some bearings. I have been recently using Seafoam in the crankcase oil to clean it up some, maybe it cleaned too much and started the sound. I 'll keep everyone updated. Thanks again.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlaskaDisco
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not had time to remove the serp belt, but I will let you know how that goes spike. It does sound louder in the cabin most of the time. I have tried feeling for exhaust leaks, but I can not feel and puffs and I don't see any carbon deposits near gasket areas. After it warms up it quiets down mostly, but at start up it is pretty noticeable. I gave one of the guys I work with a ride and he asked if I was ever stationed overseas wondering how I got a TD5 haha. This summer I'm gonna drop the oil pan and check some bearings. I have been recently using Seafoam in the crankcase oil to clean it up some, maybe it cleaned too much and started the sound. I 'll keep everyone updated. Thanks again.

Have you taken a 3' piece of fuel line to your ear to localize noise identification?

I use a stethescope, but the hose woks great, too.

luck,greg