Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Engine slowpoke (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/engine-slowpoke-93000/)

SiauD2 01-14-2019 06:21 AM

Engine slowpoke

Hi guys

I'm having trouble with my "new" D2 engine (td5). Last summer the original TD5 of my D2 broke down (oil chain came loose and went through the whole block). okay then, let's find a new TD5... After a while I found a Defender TD5 that had been in a small accident (purely cosmetic) and they we're selling all the parts. so I bought the TD5.. now, after installing the new engine I am REALLY disappointed in the performance (even in LR terms) my original enige used to bring me up to 160kph easily, the new one has a REALLY hard time to even reach 120 kph... it's so ridiculously slow... uphill it'll go 80kph.. not faster... it's really annoying if you get overtaken by a big freight truck while your giving it your absolute max... (td5 auto transmission btw)

any ideas on what could be the problem? is it possible it's restricted in some kind of way? because it came out of a def? or should it be remapped? I don't know if def's have other maps than disco's?

thanks in advance! cheers!

dgi 07 01-14-2019 07:42 AM

Not really a TD5 expert, its an engine that never came stateside.

Re-mapping is held in the engine ECU which a quick search shows may be the same for the defender. that being said, it doesn't sound like an ECU problem. you may have a restriction or low boost issue.

SiauD2 01-14-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by dgi 07 (Post 676366)
Not really a TD5 expert, its an engine that never came stateside.

Re-mapping is held in the engine ECU which a quick search shows may be the same for the defender. that being said, it doesn't sound like an ECU problem. you may have a restriction or low boost issue.

Any ideas on how to find & solve the problem? if it's not the ECU I'm expecting it to be quite an expensive fix?

dgi 07 01-14-2019 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by SiauD2 (Post 676375)
Any ideas on how to find & solve the problem? if it's not the ECU I'm expecting it to be quite an expensive fix?

Check for engine codes. until then, nothing really I can think of.

Bulax99 01-15-2019 07:31 PM

When you purchased the D90 were you able to look o we the engine / test run it? I’m not all that familiar with the td5 but with knowledge of turbo diesels are you sure the turbo is operating properly? Is it holding the correct boost / correctly functioning wastegate? Turbo’d diesels that have turbo issues are piggishly slow the way you describe.

SiauD2 01-15-2019 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bulax99 (Post 676675)
When you purchased the D90 were you able to look o we the engine / test run it? I’m not all that familiar with the td5 but with knowledge of turbo diesels are you sure the turbo is operating properly? Is it holding the correct boost / correctly functioning wastegate? Turbo’d diesels that have turbo issues are piggishly slow the way you describe.

no, i was’t able to, the engine was already taken out and on a pallet... thanks for the info! I’ll check :)

Twix 01-15-2019 10:11 PM

What's your injector rail pressure? And what's turbo boost pressure at 2500? Sounds like it's insufficient fuel or a cooked turbo.

Richard Gallant 01-15-2019 11:49 PM

We had one on an outing this summer that just sucked hard going up hills, literally down to 50 km on some of the long uphills here is what he posted on the issue and solution:

For those of you on the run and offered assistance will my black smoking gutless 300TDi, I thought I would share with you what the problem was...

After changing all filters, both fuel and air, checked all the hoses for leaks and interior delaminations I discovered the rod between the wastegate and the wastegate actuator had become unhooked. Upon further investigation, it would appear that the wastegate had become frozen, probably rusted up and because it wouldn't move the actuator rod had flipped off. So after two days of applying WD40 rust remover is loosened up and then reattaching the actuator rod with the wrong circlip it is all better, no smoke and lots of power. Just something new to be aware of.....

The Deputy 01-16-2019 02:43 AM

Yeah, the checking for delamination of the hoses is a good spot to check. See it often as diesel vehicles age. Inner hose becomes delaminated/separated and the loose rubber inside gets pulled down, blocking air flow to turbo.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

SiauD2 01-16-2019 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Deputy (Post 676695)
Yeah, the checking for delamination of the hoses is a good spot to check. See it often as diesel vehicles age. Inner hose becomes delaminated/separated and the loose rubber inside gets pulled down, blocking air flow to turbo.

Brian.

​​​​​​​Will check this weekend! Thanks for the info!