Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap sai to non sai

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:29 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap sai to non sai

I own a 2001 disco 2 with the sai and we'll I bought a 2002 disco without the sai both are se7 the 2002 work's great no warning lights or problems . Well I wanted to transplant the engine, transmission. From reading other threads I gather that I have to transplant the ecu,and mate it to the becm, the fuel pump housing, and canister vent valve and harnes.what I would like to know is can I also just transplant the becm, and or what else would I have to transplant. I would like to note that once I rebuild the original engine end the time comes I would like to reinstall it and we'll just have one as a spare. Or should I just swap heads at each swap, that would mean I would be unable to use it while my heads are being re-laped. If anyone could help with advise I would greatly appreciate it thank you.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

How long do you plan to run it for? You can just unhook all the SAI equipment. It will throw an engine code, but if you're not worried about the dash light then you'll be fine. I removed my SAI equipment when I installed my headers and must welded up the plugs in the heads. I already had my light on because I removed my AC, so I wasn't worried about it. I just put tape over it and check it periodically for new codes.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

^^^^This

Removed the SAI system on my 2001, welded plugs, covered the CEL (check engine light) forever, and check codes every once in awhile. Drives/runs as good as before and still got 16 mpg with stock tires.

Granted, you are just dropping an engine in that doesn't have SAI...so it is a matter of just plugging some vacuum lines and looking at the CEL or covering temporarily.

Personally, I couldn't imagine putting all of that garbage back on, everything is so much more accessible without it in the way. And the tubes are just ridiculously cheap/stupid.

Anyhow, good luck with your engine swap.

Brian.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:33 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Transfer the ECU with it.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

As mentioned in another thread, if you swap ECU the BECM and instrument cluster need to be swapped unless the OP has the right computer for syncing.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Alex M, The Deputy, J Fall and Abran. I plan to run the engine until i need to rebuild it Alex M, by that time I hope I have the other one with the SAI rebuilt. I did some research and indeed found out that I can transplant the BECM and the instrument cluster along with the ECU and that should prevent the check engien light from coming on. I also asked a friend that does vehicle inspections about there being a problem with having the SAI removed.He told me that aslong as the engine light does not come on or give me any bad emissions at the time of the testing, the inspection station does not investigate if the particular vehicle model is supposed to have The SAI on it. since the SAI usually only comes on at cold startups there should not be any signs of high emissions, so I should be good.

By the way sorry for the long time between my response. I am kind of busy with programming a PLC for the automation of one of our production lines, it is taking a lot of my time. I only get Sundays off, as a mater of fact im at work typing this jaja.

Last edited by RoverRoman; 05-06-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: forgot some info