Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:10 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Temp

Hi.. just purchased a 2003 LandRover II. The truck has had a lot of work done to it. My question is the engine temp. After less than 3 minutes of running, the truck temp gauge goes to half way and stays there, it seems the engine is warmer than most (not sure if thats normal), but does not over heat. Should I replace or check the thermostat? It also seems to take a long time to cool down.

Also - I have seen the Check Engine light come on and turn off - is there a testing tool that can read these warnings that one could purchase without going to a dealer? I am far from a dealer - have the space and want to service the truck myself.

Update: I read this, it appears that the quick temp setting is normal? How can i test the codes?

Rave specifically states that the design of the DII cooling system is for passenger comfort.

General
The cooling system used on the V8 engine is a pressure relief by-pass type system which allows coolant to circulate
around the cylinder block and the heater circuit when the thermostat is closed. With coolant not passing through the
radiator, this promotes faster heater warm-up which in turn improves passenger comfort.

By-pass flow valve
The by-pass flow valve is held closed by a light spring. It operates to further aid heater warm-up. When the main valve
is closed and the engine speed is at idle, the coolant pump does not produce sufficient flow and pressure to open the
valve. In this condition the valve prevents coolant circulating through the by-pass circuit and forces the coolant through
the heater matrix only. This provides a higher flow of coolant through the heater matrix to improve passenger comfort
in cold conditions.

Last edited by Will_2003_LandRoverII; 07-13-2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Found more info
Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe, its not that it warms up faster just sends the heated coolant to the heater even before its fully opened up.

I wouldnt rely on the gauge, but half way is pretty normal, should be a little less, but with these gauges who knows.

You can get the code checked at a advance auto or autozone maybe even napa.

Code readers usually cost 150$ But I hear you can get one from harbor freight for 50$

If you love your truck and want to know the temperature get a scanner than can read it out digitally. I like the scangauge as it tells you alot of information and is semi permanent, however i cant say wether or not the MPG work on a DII

Old 07-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The temp gauge on a car is far from accurate.
But yes, being a all aluminum engine it will heat up faster than most cars.
And make sure you are using premium gas as it is required by Land Rover.
As for the OBDII scanner, buy one from e-bay, buy one that also reads live data, that will give you engine temp, rpm, road speed, O2 readings, MAF readings...and so on.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up great help thanks

Ordering the OBDII scanner asap! My first Rover.. and quite surprised how attached I have become - it has prime garage space. My plans are to use the truck for work projects - all day driving, with a lot of idle time..monitoring the temp, etc live is a great idea thanks. This truck will be going head to head with a Jeep Rubicon in off road conditions during projects, so - it should be neat to see how it does. I will take some pics and post on here if people are interested. The truck is a bit.. well.. stock, so Im looking at getting some addition armour and any additional modifications needed to turn a stock SD into a british tank. Great forum.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Start with a good set of A/T's and see what she will do, then add as needed if needed.