Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   everyone with more than 150K on your original LR head gaskets (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/everyone-more-than-150k-your-original-lr-head-gaskets-69748/)

drowssap 10-15-2014 10:20 AM

everyone with more than 150K on your original LR head gaskets

please sign in.

RicketyTick 10-15-2014 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 486053)
please sign in.

Well I probably shouldn't sign in but, mine went to 141,465... no warning, no prior leaking, wasn't running hot, no nothing and never ran hot at least in the 70K that I'd had it. Started it up and it was misfiring bad and gasket just decided it was time between water jacket and #7 to the inside. Not the kind of blown head gasket you can drive with and add water. Luckily, I was just at a store only 1-1/2 miles from home. First thing in the morning, ran fine on the way to the store, went inside, came out, started it and it happened right then and there. No prior misfires or any signs it was coming. I guess I made it more miles than the norm!
Anyway, I just wanted to communicate that they don't always give a warning. Not normally how it happens I know!

ZGPhoto 10-15-2014 10:42 AM

I think it was 152k when I did mine

TRIARII 10-15-2014 12:28 PM

I dont know for certain weather my original head gaskets were changed but I assume they are factory. Right now Im at 145,xxx and counting. By the time I head to Ak ill be at 150+ miles.

dusty1 10-15-2014 12:53 PM

can't be 100 %, but bought a "parts truck" from 2nd owner with 155k. he said he had the truck since 80kish and hg was, now, blown and it had other issues. wasn't running..
turned out it was not hg leak. just cracked manifold and tbh leak.
again not 100% if original owner had hg done, prior to 80k. I sold the truck with 160k and still going.
so I guess that's pointless, since I have no clue of the first 80. sorry.

RicketyTick 10-15-2014 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by dusty1 (Post 486098)
can't be 100 %, but bought a "parts truck" from 2nd owner with 155k. he said he had the truck since 80kish and hg was, now, blown and it had other issues. wasn't running..
turned out it was not hg leak. just cracked manifold and tbh leak.
again not 100% if original owner had hg done, prior to 80k. I sold the truck with 160k and still going.
so I guess that's pointless, since I have no clue of the first 80. sorry.

Yea same here. I have no way to know for sure if they were original on mine either. They had elring gaskets but that don't mean much. Coulda been changed a week before I bought it at 70K for all I know.

disc0man 10-15-2014 01:20 PM

Just changed mine at 150,080 miles. No catastrophic failure or anything, just finally decided to change them after I was losing a small amount of coolant and the occasional misfire. Running like a top now!

roar huge 10-15-2014 01:29 PM

I'm at 140k, and mine are toast. Looks like two external leaks, one on each side. Looking for estimates on replacing them in the Seattle area. Gordn at Lamorna quoted me $2600, which I'm pretty sure is more than the entire truck is worth....

now I understand why people here list repairs completed in the signature field vs. mods....

Dave03S 10-15-2014 01:32 PM

I don't know about your vehicles but the sides of my heads were noticeably aged and coated with enough grime to look just like the rest of the block.

Now that it has been 25k since my HG job the sides of the heads around the spark plugs still look shiny compared to the block. That might be one way to tell... if the person changing them did indeed get the heads cleaned and or machined in the process. Also when my heads were done the shop did not replace the fabric wrap around the SAI pipes.

Even as the truck ages it should still be evident if the heads have been cleaned and the block not.

MetalMarine 10-15-2014 01:35 PM

im at 178k and they are leaking. its been leaking for 12k miles. bought the truck when it had 160k on it. couldn't tell you if they are the originals. but they are bad and need to be replaced.

just need to scrape up the 200$ to buy the rebuild kit and do it before I lose the engine.