Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust

so I decided to put a flow master exhaust kit on the Landy. Rthe cats I am going to put on have to options..... The 90 series or the 40 series? Which one is better and why?

Thanks

Old 10-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I've had like 9 or 10 different exhaust setups on the Disco trying to settle into something I like, including a FlowMaster 40 with Magnaflow cats. It had a good sound, but the drone was INSANE. It literally drone worse than straight pipes from the cat-back. The 90 series is a larger muffler and will be quieter. I don't know how much or how little it would drone, but I'd say not much.

I've also had dual louvered 23" glasspacks. Those drone too much for my taste, and we're only getting worse and worse.

I've had the FlowMaster 40 with a 12" glasspack after. Also a ton of drone.

I've had stock with Magnaflow cats and resonator delete. No drone, decent sound but not great.

I've had stock with no cats and Resonator delete. I actually can't remember what it sounded like. I do remember I didn't think it was too awful loud, but my family complained about it a lot.

I've had stock with stock cats and Resonator delete. It sounded like a stock 2008 Silverado. I liked it, but I wanted it to be louder.

I've had a single in dual out Borla Pro XS with Magnaflow cats. Great sound, drone wasn't too bad.

I've had Magnaflow cats with just the 12" glasspack (had a 9" body, 12" total length, louvered core). It was AWESOME. Drone actually wasn't too bad, it popped and crackled when you let off the gas, it roared when you stepped on it.... But I felt really bad the day I passed a funeral procession on the way home on the highway.

I've had just the factory resonator. Quite loud, lots of drone.

I've had two factory resonators in line. Not as loud, also less drone, pretty good sound.

Lastly, and this was just thrown together because I found that my passengers tailpipe was actually TOUCHING AND BEGINNING TO MELT MY GAS TANK. Yea. Anyway, hacked off both tailpipe, hacked out the Borla because it was welded in and I didn't have the tools I needed to put turn downs on it. I threw on a Thrush glasspack, perforated core, 2.5" diameter, and just a turn down tip that dumps right in front of the rear axle. Sounds pretty good. Grumbles, pops at high RPM, and less drone than the Borla even after break in. That's also with the Magnaflow cats.

I will say, the Magnaflow cats are trash. Atleast they have been for me. They've got ~12k miles on them and theyre already on their way out. The current setup is temporary. I will be doing headers, 2.5" y-pipe with small resonators instead of cats, y'd into the Borla, and a single 3" pipe out the back with v-band clamps at the headers, after the resonators, and before/after the Borla. Also all mandrel bends instead of crush.

If I were keeping stock manifolds, I'd get the Walker Y-pipe, but truth be told tou can buy headers and get y-pipe made with Universal cats just as cheaply as you can buy a made to fit y-pipe if you're fine with crush bends. Doesn't matter for most people.

Go on YouTube. I've posted sound videos of almost all of these setups but from a couple different accounts. Just search "Discovery 2 [Flowmaster] [magnaflow]" or something like that and they should pop up. One of the guys here on the forum has also posted videos of his full Magnaflow setup which shouldn't be too hard to find.

Last edited by Alex_M; 10-16-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

What do you work at The Muffler Man? Dam thats a lot exhaust trials, saved me some money.

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I've had like 9 or 10 different exhaust setups on the Disco trying to settle into something I like, including a FlowMaster 40 with Magnaflow cats. It had a good sound, but the drone was INSANE. It literally drone worse than straight pipes from the cat-back. The 90 series is a larger muffler and will be quieter. I don't know how much or how little it would drone, but I'd say not much.

I've also had dual louvered 23" glasspacks. Those drone too much for my taste, and we're only getting worse and worse.

I've had the FlowMaster 40 with a 12" glasspack after. Also a ton of drone.

I've had stock with Magnaflow cats and resonator delete. No drone, decent sound but not great.

I've had stock with no cats and Resonator delete. I actually can't remember what it sounded like. I do remember I didn't think it was too awful loud, but my family complained about it a lot.

I've had stock with stock cats and Resonator delete. It sounded like a stock 2008 Silverado. I liked it, but I wanted it to be louder.

I've had a single in dual out Borla Pro XS with Magnaflow cats. Great sound, drone wasn't too bad.

I've had Magnaflow cats with just the 12" glasspack (had a 9" body, 12" total length, louvered core). It was AWESOME. Drone actually wasn't too bad, it popped and crackled when you let off the gas, it roared when you stepped on it.... But I felt really bad the day I passed a funeral procession on the way home on the highway.

I've had just the factory resonator. Quite loud, lots of drone.

I've had two factory resonators in line. Not as loud, also less drone, pretty good sound.

Lastly, and this was just thrown together because I found that my passengers tailpipe was actually TOUCHING AND BEGINNING TO MELT MY GAS TANK. Yea. Anyway, hacked off both tailpipe, hacked out the Borla because it was welded in and I didn't have the tools I needed to put turn downs on it. I threw on a Thrush glasspack, perforated core, 2.5" diameter, and just a turn down tip that dumps right in front of the rear axle. Sounds pretty good. Grumbles, pops at high RPM, and less drone than the Borla even after break in. That's also with the Magnaflow cats.

I will say, the Magnaflow cats are trash. Atleast they have been for me. They've got ~12k miles on them and theyre already on their way out. The current setup is temporary. I will be doing headers, 2.5" y-pipe with small resonators instead of cats, y'd into the Borla, and a single 3" pipe out the back with v-band clamps at the headers, after the resonators, and before/after the Borla. Also all mandrel bends instead of crush.

If I were keeping stock manifolds, I'd get the Walker Y-pipe, but truth be told tou can buy headers and get y-pipe made with Universal cats just as cheaply as you can buy a made to fit y-pipe if you're fine with crush bends. Doesn't matter for most people.

Go on YouTube. I've posted sound videos of almost all of these setups but from a couple different accounts. Just search "Discovery 2 [Flowmaster] [magnaflow]" or something like that and they should pop up. One of the guys here on the forum has also posted videos of his full Magnaflow setup which shouldn't be too hard to find.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Haha, yea, I've had way too many exhaust systems on her. That's why I'm setting myself up with V-bands for easy replacement and I'll have my own welder soon, so I can swap in and out pretty easily as my heart desires.

In all honesty, ive only got about a total of $900 in all of my exhaust right now. I've done most of the work myself with a hack saw, exhaust clamps, and plenty of cursing. I've also got an exhaust guy that does work that I can't do on my own for super cheap.