Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiences with Great Lakes Warranty Co?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Experiences with Great Lakes Warranty Co?

Checked further into the Auto Advantage policy and it's a breakdown policy. Doesn't really make sense in the modern era of self-diagnosing electronics that won't pass inspection if it throws a code (truck runs, just you can't legally drive it anymore).

Also got quotes from aaautowarranty but had similar experience to Craig. They are brokers and the same policies were higher than from other brokers. Their cheaper policies were all breakdown policies.

So far, the Great Lakes warranty looks to be the best even though maintenance looks like it absolutely positively must be done on the schedule and the 3k mile oil/filter changes. Still on the fence and rubbing my chin on this one. In my favor, my better half would be OK if I pass on the warranty so she wouldn't give me the "I told you so's" if (when) there's a big parts bill, but everybody I know keeps telling me to get a warranty. Hmm.

Best regards,

-Keith

Old 02-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked continentals website for coverage. looks like great lakes covers more but it says nothing about servicing and 3k oil changes. its all a bit vauge.....does have a list of parts covered but its not as extensive as the titanium coverage plan with great lakes.http://www.continentalwarranty.com/g...e.php?PlanID=4 this is the coverage plan that was suggested so you can check it out if you like...steve

Old 02-28-2007, 01:45 PM
4wd Low

I did not have to show any maintenance receipts to Great Lakes. They never brought it up. As to the details of what I paid vs. what they covered, I had other work done at the same time (plug wires, etc.) so it is hard to tell. As faf as I know they covered the $90/hr rate at the stealership, though they might have negotiated that down for all I know.

ChuckD

Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Rock Crawling

RE: Continental Warranty.

My sweetie pie just called them for a quote and here's her summary:

They’ve pissed me off…They tried to hard sell me over the phone. She did the used car sales tactic of putting her manager of the phone with me.

Anyhow….they quoted $2098 for four yrs or 48K miles. The mileage coverage is not as good as other companies that will cover us up to 100K miles. But they ASSURED me that if I called back the price would not be the same.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Overlanding

Aaautowarranty has followed up with me a few times since my enquiry, asking for me to sign up. I wrote back to them, asking how they can justify over $400 more for the same Great Lakes policy offered by Warranties 4 wheels, and how they expected to attract customers without being economically competitive. Here's the response from aaautowarranty:

Dear Craig:[/align] [/align] Thank you for your email. We are aware of Warranties4Wheels, we are aware that they sell Great Lakes Warranties, and we are aware that they are charging less than we are.[/align] [/align] From what we have been able to determine, they are a relatively new, very low overhead operation. We think the company may consist of only a nice website and 3 people. [/align] [/align] We are Great Lakes' biggest broker. Because of the volume of business we do with them, our customer service department probably better able to resolve disputes that may arise than any other. For example, Great Lakes standard policy is to direct-pay only dealer service departments. All others are on a company check or reimbursement basis. We have established that our customers repairs can be paid by corporate credit card in non-dealer service facilities.[/align] [/align] No, I can't justify a $400+ price difference for the same warranty, but I can offer an alternative: We are now offering a $100 Presidents Day discount coupon on all warranties. This will save you $100, AND get you our superlative customer service.[/align] [/align] Here's something else to think about: Warranty brokers, like insurance brokers, are rated by the companies they sell for based upon their "loss ratio." Their rates can be increased or they can lose their brokerage if the warranty company has to pay out too much compared to revenue taken in. Landrover repairs, as I'm sure you know, can get very expensive. When Warranties4Wheels loses their Great Lakes brokerage, who are you going to turn to for customer service?[/align] [/align] Jeff Golden[/align] www.AAAutoWarranty.com[/align] 888-222-4445 ext 162

Frankly, I don't care whether or not the broker retains their account once I have the policy in hand. From the point of writing the contract, the warranty company (Great Lakes) is who I would deal with, not aaa or W4W. Still not enough justification in the above response to warrent spending a bunch of extra money I don't think.

Aquaholic, thanks for the info. I don't play that game and won't be calling Continental.

Chuck, it sounds like W4W may still be the best option - though I still don't know if I'm sold.

Most likely I'll drive it for 6 months and get a feel for things. I can always add it on if I so decide.

Craig
[/align]

Old 03-01-2007, 02:23 PM
4wd Low

Don't wait!! Almost any Rover repair that requires professional work will break the bank, at a "stealership" or even an independent shop. Parts are universally hugely expensive, too. You are right about the broker vs. insurance carrier. It is the latter that counts. Good luck.

ChuckD