Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   extremely loud wind sound above 60mph? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/extremely-loud-wind-sound-above-60mph-31205/)

Spencerfitch 05-18-2010 10:06 PM

extremely loud wind sound above 60mph?

Is this common with anyone else? It was the first thing I noticed when I bought the truck. It goes from peace full to LOUD AS HELL at 60mph.

It sounded like the winsheild wasn't put it correctly, but it was.
Its not the roof rack bars
Its not the sunroof
Is it the roof overhangs?

greg409 05-18-2010 10:13 PM

You have removed the roof rack crossbars?

Try turning on the radio, fairly loud, then put a piece of hose to your ear, (or mech stethoscope w/o tip) and listen around every door, window, you'll find it.

luck,greg

TBIAgent69 05-18-2010 10:46 PM

The door seals on these are beautiful and almost perfect. Too bad the doors don't fit properly. I found that a lot of the noise fcomes from the door area. Try driving through a car wash you'll see how well these seal. Most new cars have a double or triple seal system, these only have one. I bought some flat weather stripping and cut it to fit around the doors. I put it on the surface that mates to the weather strip on the body. The roof rails contribute to the noise also which is why nobody else has used them for over a decade. I have a feeling that the two things that were last on rover's mind when they designed these things were aerodynamics and sound control

lordmorpheus 05-18-2010 11:02 PM

Greg's idea is a good one. Just note, after turning on the radio, you are meant to listen with the hose around all windows and doors while OUTSIDE the vehicle, windows up. (on first read I imagined someone driving the car, radio cranked, with a hose stuck in their ear trying to listen all around the cabin while watching the road) ;)

If you have a leaf blower, reversible shop vac, or air compressor, have someone blow all around the windows and doors from the outside while you listen on the inside.

Spencerfitch 05-18-2010 11:31 PM

wow im glad you said something :rolleyes:

lordmorpheus 05-19-2010 12:00 AM

All in good fun. I would just hate for someone to be thread searching for wind noise and do what I had visualised. Little pains me more than to see a wrecked Landie.

kman3786 05-19-2010 12:35 AM

FYI,

You're driving a several ton SQUARE BRICK through the atmosphere at high speeds. Even a Volvo 240 has less resistance than our Discoveries. There may be some things to help reduce whistle, but you will always have the noise of the wind......

best of luck!

Spencerfitch 05-19-2010 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus (Post 178403)
All in good fun. I would just hate for someone to be thread searching for wind noise and do what I had visualised. Little pains me more than to see a wrecked Landie.

no seriously..

JavaDiscoII 05-19-2010 08:05 AM

I just noticed this with my disco, only at higher speeds. For me it is the window frame. My driver side window frame has about a quarter inch of play in it, and at high speeds I can hear some wind coming through. When I use my hand and pull in on the windowframe, it goes away. Not a big deal since I am usually not on the truways. I am hoping I can take th door panel off and have it welded.