Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed TX inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
12 volts across the pins or pin to ground?
across pin1 and pin2.
not pin1 - chassis

Old 12-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
+1 on Street Wolf's suggestion. If my friend's catless, ECU-swapped, code-throwing high-HP Lancer Evolution could get a sticker, so can you. Hint: try the shops that say "inspection while you wait" with the sign-twirlers outside

RedAustinIX
While I am all for doing whatever you want to your own car, whats the point of having inspections if you can easily get around them?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
While I am all for doing whatever you want to your own car, whats the point of having inspections if you can easily get around them?
Money for the state.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm beginning to think someone has jacked with my wiring at one point.

I found some suspicious connections on the BROWN-PINK wire, which are supposed to be the grounds for the SAI solenoid and EVAP Purge.

I'm not an electrical whiz, but i think PIN1 and PIN2 are reversed on the plug for the Purge Valve. The reason I think this.

First, the BROWN-PINK wire on the purge valve is going into PIN1, and BROWN-RED is going into PIN2. The ECU Manual says color "NR" goes to PIN2... Not sure what color "NR" is..

2nd.
When I plug the + on my multimeter into PIN1, and connect to Body Ground, I get 5V.
When I plug the + on my multimeter into PIN2, and connect to Body Ground, I get full 12V.

RAVE says, that PIN1 is supposed to be 12V, and PIN2 comes from ECU.

I'm not sure how the wires would get crossed.

Am I reading this right? Can I just clip and reverse the wires close to the plug, in order to get the 12V into PIN1 and ECM into PIN2?

For reference, the SAI Solenoid plug appears to be wired correctly (12V in PIN1).

Thanks

Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Move to a better state?
Don't you know? There is no better state.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It may be cheaper to just get yourself a Post Office box in Alabama. They don't inspect anything down here. You can drive about anything on the road here. Dune Buggies, Tractors, Side by Sides, ectz...

Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

You could buy a honda, get it inspected, peel the sticker off, put it on your D2... then shoot holes in the honda! problem solved and fun.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: BROWN-RED is going into PIN2. The ECU Manual says color "NR" goes to PIN2... Not sure what color "NR" is..

Brown & Red = "NR" in Roverspeak.

The Rover color code, translated from the original Klingon, is:

B - Black
G - Green
P - pinK
L - Light
N - browN
O - Orange u glad U red dis?
P - Purple
R - Red
S - slate (gray)
U - blUe
W - White
Y - Yellow

Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Default P1412 & P1415 fix

Just thought I would update the thread.
P1412 and P1415 are now solved. Inspection passed!
Unsure about the status of P0441.

Turns out the vacuum canister for the SAI was backwards!!! It was on suck, instead of blow.

I thought I would post some of the troubleshooting steps we took to figure out the SAI vacuum issue, leading to the determination the canister was bad.

-disconnect vacuum hoses from Air Manifold
-disconnect vacuum hose from intake manifold.
-grab a spare piece of hose, and hook up to the intake manifold vacuum port
-hook other end up to air manifold, you should hear a difference in the exhaust, you should also notice the O2 sensor running lean if you have a computer hooked up. this indicates that the vacuum is opening the manifold, and it is not stuck shut.
-repeat for the other side.
-if all is well, proceed, if not, then need to figure out how to unstick/replace manifold ($$$)

-from here, check to make sure the brittle plastic tubes are not cracked, and can hold a vacuum.
-now connect the same spare vacuum test hose to either one side of the canister, and see if you are getting vacuum out the other side.
-if not, then look at your canister, and there should be markings on it indicating the flow direction, and which side should be connected to the vacuum. ensure it is on there properly (in my case the canister was backwards, so when we hooked up the vacuum to the canister, nothing was coming out the other end. we hooked the vacuum to the opposite end and whah-la, it was flowing. after a few head scratches it turns out the mounting bracket for the canister was on upside down, which would cause the canister to be facing the wrong way. A quick flip of the mount bracket, replace the canister with the proper flow direction and all is well in SAI land)

-of course, ensure that your vacuum cleaner is running (power, etc.)
-also check/replace the filter for the vacuum cleaner. I think there is a thread on here how to do that. Basically remove the vacuum cleaner, pop off the housing, remove the shredded up original black filter, go to home depot and buy 1x1x1 air conditioner window unit stuff, use that to make a new filter (you can't just buy a new filter from LR, they will gladly sell you an entire new pump though). replace the unit and ensure you put the canister back on in the right direction :-)

I'm sure I left some steps out, but thought I would do a little brain dump as this caused so many headaches for me, and I know others.