Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fend Flare Arches done in Rust-Oleum Bed Liner Great Finish!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah the problem with Forever black is that the fender arches loose their shiny outer coating especially at the top where the sun hits them and they become that nasty gray porous. The liquid Forever Black just soaks right in and doesn't look that good. I went that route awhile back and returned it to Wal-Mart. After you sand it with that sponge block its best to put a little plastic primer on it...then I used adhesion promoter from Duplicolor, then 10 coats of truck bed liner. Now searching for the best UV protector I can find. I would rather not use matte enamel with UV protector built in. And this huculiner coat is shiny. That sucks. All the black on my truck is matte.
I'm going to a Sherwin William auto paint store to see what I can find on Monday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=300421799324

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct....00&sid=1902830

Old 06-10-2021, 08:26 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well Done!

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Hello all,
  • After a lot of research and testing from me. I decided to use spray on Rust-Oleum Truck bed liner on my wheel fender arches. I snuck over to the Jeep forums to monitor what did and did not work with spray on truck bed liner. Seems that Plastikote, & Duplicolor did not wear that well. Reports were that Plastikote peeled off in sheets after a short time. Rustolium worked well and was easily sprayed over for quick repairs.
  • I tested a few small projects on plastic parts using Duplicolor adhesion promoter. I also used Krylon Universal paint as a base coat before the truck bed liner. It all seemed to adhere well.
  • This past Wednesday on my working vacation I totally masked off my entire Rover taking almost 2 hours. I know all the work is in the prep. And used about 4.5 cans of Rust-Oleum Truck bed liner. I had about 30% humidity and about 75 degrees in WI at my folks summer house. I sprayed each coat about every hour on the hour, with 3 passes. Probably about over 8-10 coats +. It goes on thin because it is a spray can. See my pictures below.
  • The truck bed liner leaves a textured surface that is durable and will not rip off your skin if you brush against it. Its not as abrasive as Hurculiner from what I have seen. It still is somewhat abrasive. I hope it will dull over time. Now I am search auto paint stores to fine a UV spray on protect-ant to slow this from graying out over time.
  • Next is my rear ladder since the powder coat is bubbling and starting rust underneath.

That turned out really good…Love the wrapping job…jk…LOL

Old 06-12-2021, 11:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Update, it has been 11 years since I painted these fender flairs and now I live in Denver where the sun is stronger. They still look great with no fading.

The following users liked this post:
ace10 (11-20-2022)