Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few Estupido Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Estupido Newbie Questions

Just picked up a 2000 disco II for the wife yesterday, naturally no manual. needless to say I'll remedy that problem quickly!

Three questions... 1.) what is the indicator light with the 'S' in the sunburst for ?
2.) I am assuming that the cruise control works by pushing forward from behind, like most things British, but it doesn't seem to work; is there a separate switch to enable the cruise?
3.)Anyone have a source for the Valeo key fobs or a separate remote switch at a reasonable price? (I know I'm dreaming, but I have to ask...)

Oh, I lied...one more Q...any suggestions for mounting two-way gear? I'm thinking a through-the glass antenna on the DS clerestory window and custom fitting a VHF or dual-band rig next to the lighter plug and wiring right to the fuse block, but wonder if I might not be better off just taking a hole saw to the roof and mounting an NMO-type antenna...

Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: A few Estupido Newbie Questions

The S means the car is in Sports Mode. It just lets the car rmp higher before changing gears. Good for City, stop and go. Personally, I never use Sport unless I want to waste some gas. You can turn it off with the button between the shifter and window controls. The button says Mode.

As for Cruse Control. I have a '03 and the button is Opposite of the Front Fog, Rear Fog and Gas Panel Release, on the right side. The button looks like a Truck or Car. Make sure the light is orange...that will turn on CC.

As for the Key... NO idea what you are talking about...haha. Sorry. And the two-way. Again, cant help there. All i know how to do is mount the XM Antenna.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Mudding

to the left of the speedo are buttons, the bottom one (kinda looks like a surfboard across the road) thats the cruise button. push that then set the speed.
i would advise not cutting a hole in the roof, as you will soon find out that leaks come from somewhere up there.....and if anyone finds where the hell they are coming from ....let me know!!!

Old 06-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roof leaks can come from windshield seal,roof rack attachment points, alpine window seals and of corse sunroofs seals. At the back, leaks can come from the upper cargo door area due to bad door adjustment.

The cruise control push button on a 2000 D2 is located on the instrument cluster surround on the right hand side of the steering. its the switch with what ressembles a two lane highway. You press it on and then operate it with the steering controls. When you're finished with it, you simply press it off.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Mudding

its in the front, usually collects in the tray above the drivers side visor. i haven't checked the roof rack yet, but thats what i was thinking it was. cleaned out the sunroof rails, etc, so i think i ruled that out. windshield seals are fine. its not consistantly a problem, so its frustrating as hell!

Old 06-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Wasn't sure if you had sunroofs or not. Since you do, I think it is imperative that the rubber seal on which the glass rests be cleaned and maintained clean using silicone spray to remove any crud that will allow water to make its way in. Same goes with the area of the glass that rest on the rubber. using that same silicone spray, toroughly clean the inner area of the glass to remove the crud that is most likely stuck on there.

With this said, I had a minor internal leak coming from the sunvisor tray area after huge downpoors. I cleaned my sunroof drains to find that they were not clogged. What I found was happening was that during heavy downpours, the drains couldn't keep up with the incomingwater flow, and some of the water that was waiting to be evacuated by the sunroof drains, was making its way in through the crud on both the seals and sunroof glass. Cleaned like said above and it never happened again.

So try that and then check the rack if need be.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Mudding

awesome! thanks!! i'll try it now! got my fingers crossed that it will work...nothing like getting a wet but on the ride to work...thats where the water eventually ends up, on the seat!

Old 06-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can leave the cruise power button on the dash pressed in all the time. It will only set when you use the controls on the steering wheel, and then of course hit the brakes to disengage the cruise.

As for the radio, there are antenna mounting kits for your spare tire, you can run your coax under the carpet to the cargo area and mount your antenna on the spare tire carrier.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Winching

I was wondering what the skateboard on the train tracks was supposed to be! So theres the cruise control! And to use it i would have to hit that button, then use the controls on the right side of the steering wheel to go faster or slower? WOW i had absolutely no idea what that switch was for! ok and to disengage cruise i gotta just step on the brakes. if this is correct somebody let me know cuz i wanna use my cruise control as i do travel a lot and wasnt sure how to use it.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That seems to be right. Although I still prefer turning it off manually.

Quick Reply: A few Estupido Newbie Questions