Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   the final word on DURATRACS (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/final-word-duratracs-37410/)

sloppyjoe 01-16-2011 10:03 PM

the final word on DURATRACS

4 Attachment(s)
just buy these if you are planning any moderate off roading in mud, snow, slush and ice.

i finally got a chance to get deep into the woods and put them through a proper test and they performed exactly as i had hoped . the only vehicles on the trails yesterday more capable were lightened jeep buggies with really wide tracks and 44" mudders aired way down.

i carry onboard air but chose not to air down as i wanted to run the trails like most people would. simply driving off the road onto gravel and then rocks, ice and snow.

these tires work best when you keep the RPM's up in the deep stuff. pure snow is no challenge at all, but you will find issue in slush as you will sink in if you go too slow. our trucks are just too heavy to try and skim on the slush like a monster tired buggie or little modifies toyota would.

the trails were heavily rutted and though that made it tough to slide off the trails, it also makes it tough to get out of them if you wanted to do so. lock the diff and throttle out with little issue. the duratracs unlike big mud tires do not leave a perfect imprint in the slush as the pass over. they dig in and tear through it leaving snow and slush that looks like it was put in a meat grinder. they grip, tear and shred their way in and out. for a semi aggressive off road tire they perform much better then most aggressive tires i have run on past vehicles including jeeps and pick ups.

and to add. i really stressed and tested out the OME medium kit i added when i did the tires. some holes in the trails being 12" deep. it performed flawlessly and in fact it took bumps and holes and felt almost better then riding on a highway at 60mph. it just sucks it up and keeps going. good kit!

willrok13 01-17-2011 12:24 AM

Couldnt help but notice -- where is your spare?

sloppyjoe 01-17-2011 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by willrok13 (Post 220360)
Couldnt help but notice -- where is your spare?

spare is off as i am having a mount made to bolt up to to the spare carrier. it will carry water and fuel cans.

my other response was gonna be spares are for pansies hahahaa

hilltoppersx 01-17-2011 06:06 AM

truck is looking good sloppy.

Disco Mike 01-17-2011 08:41 AM

Joe, be very careful with loading 2 cans and a spare on that spare carrier, it won't handle the weight long, nor will the door hinges.

willrok13 01-17-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe (Post 220363)
spare is off as i am having a mount made to bolt up to to the spare carrier. it will carry water and fuel cans.

my other response was gonna be spares are for pansies hahahaa

Hahaha, that's the answer I was looking for!

sloppyjoe 01-17-2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by willrok13 (Post 220428)
Hahaha, that's the answer I was looking for!

i was trying to be diplomatic at first then i figured id just be honest haha

yloDiscoII 01-17-2011 02:19 PM

Where did you go?

20vturbo 01-17-2011 02:45 PM

what size are they?

willrok13 01-17-2011 03:01 PM

Are you going to mount the tire on a roof rack or something and just have cans on the door? That would be pretty cool, and a great way to carry the cans. Don't know if I'd go cans and tire on the rear door though.