Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really need some help, Vibration, tried it all

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:28 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really need some help, Vibration, tried it all

I have a 2001 Discovery II which has devoloped a vibration.
The Story:
The vibration starts up at 55 and gets worse up till 65 then goes away at 70. If I let off the gas and coast the vibration goes away all together. As soon as I step on the gas again it starts back up.

The vibration is less when I first start to drive the Rover. After I have driven it for a while it is back to its same intensity.

What I have done:
I rebuilt my front drive shaft a while back and took it in to have it balanced. It balanced out well and I put it back on.

Still a vibration.

I replaced the front driveshaft with a new unit.

Still a vibe and at the same speeds

What I am going to do:
I am going to to the rear u-joint today and see what that does.

Questions:
Anyone have a DII that has a vibration like this? Goes away when you let off the throttle and coast? Does it sound like a bad U joint? Could it be in the t case. Anyone found that to be a problem?

Last edited by aaron155; 01-23-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been experiencing the same, going to get my drive shaft rebuilt. Also heard it could be something as simple as the tires needing to be rotated or balanced.

Hope you figure it out.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Drifting

I've been experiencing the same sound on my 99 D2, but from what I have read on these forums, this problem comes from the rotoflex joint. If you have any breaks or cracks in it, you need to replace it, which is on my to do list next week.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:12 PM
4th Gear
Default Rotoflex

I do have a few small cracks in it. I have ordered a new rotoflex joint from Rovers North. I am going to wait to install the new rear ujoint until the rotoflex gets here so I only have to take the drive line off once. I think that this is the problem. It is better when it is cold, until you drive it for a while and then it gets pretty bad again. It stands to reason that the rubber is harder when cold, (winter in Wyoming) softer when warm or after driving it to flex it out.

I had a 97 Jeep grand cherokee that developed soft supension bushings. The front wheel would bounce like a b-ball at certain speeds. It was very un-nerving. I had it happen on a hot day on the freeway in SLC UT. The only way to get it to stop was to slam on the brakes and so way down until it stopped. I replaced shocks, then I thought about the temp affecting it. It would only do it on hot days. I bought some polyurethane bushings and installed them and never had another problem.

Rubber is not my first choice for such things. My old Saab has brass bushings. Should have a U-joint, most euro cars have a rotoflex though. Mercedes used them and my Merkur has one as well.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Drifting

aaron, was it the rotoflex?