Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first car

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first car

whats up guys and girls? I'm going to be getting my first car within the next 2 or 3 months. I have always loved the look of the discovery and land rovers in general. but my mother and father say that it will be to expensive to keep it running. and from what I have gathered from looking on this forum is that they do have quite a few electrical problems. and I don't want to keep fixing problems. but on the other side it seems the 4.0 rover v8 is a beast of a engine and never stops? I have been looking at discovery's and early range rovers. here are a few land roversI have been looking at, please tell me what you think of them. what ever car of SUV I get I am probably going to end up keeping it for a few years so I don't really want those years to suck because I'm always fixing the rover. And my mother wants me to get a jeep Grand Cherokee[:'(] so I'm trying to find a alternative to that. if you have any suggestions on what I should do please post.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=223171642
I called the stealership and they said it had a 137K miles on it
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=227413301

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=228916470

Old 02-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: first car

How mechanical are you? With an older rover, it is hit and miss. Most times, people are getting rid of them because they need something. Plan on a fix when you get it, and if you don't know the history, a full service.

They are prone to throwing head gaskets, and they are all aluminum, so they don't take overheating at all. They have their little quirks, but not too hard to work on. This is a good resource for help, it you get one, and there are great deals on e-bay for used parts from time to time.

Get ready for crap gas mileage too......

Old 02-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You MUST use premium gas, if you dont your mpg will suck BAD and it will not last as long.
How old are you? I would suggest a D1, they are very easy to work on, less expensive,fewer electrical problems and if the head gaskets needed to be replaced it most likley would have already been done.
If you learn how to work on it you can easily drive it through college.
If you drive like your grandpa you can get 18-20 mpg on the highway and 12-14 around town.
The girls will love it! How many other guys have Rovers?
I have a '97 and it has 171,253 miles on it and runs like a top.
Here is a good read to give you some ideas on what to look for and what to expect.
http://www.robisonservice.com/servic...er_advice1.asp
If you do wind buying a Disco just take your time, test drive many, even ones that you cannot afford until you find the one that is right for you.
Paitence is a virtue grasshopper. You will know when the time is right.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have more problems with a Jeep than the Disco

Get a Chevy or a Rover (I love my Rangie )

Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM
7th Gear

my brother and I have built quite a few honda motors from the ground up. so I would consider my self pretty mechanical. I'm shure I could handel a head gasket. Ijust dontwant toget a Grand Cherokee.lol also if there are any other vehicles similar to the rovers please tell me. thank you

Old 02-19-2008, 08:11 PM
7th Gear

I don't have a problem using premium gas. I have a pretty good job and I I'm sure I could afford it. I'm 15 years of age but I'm 6'3 and 225lbs. my mother is making me get a bigger vehicle due to safety and my size. also how is insurance on the rovers?

Old 02-19-2008, 08:19 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my first rover last year at age 16. I saved up for 3 years by working as a soccer ref. and raised $6,000, my parents threw in $2,000 and I bought a 2000 DII. Prior to buying my disco, I did a TON of research and test drove about 10. With some you can tell if they were taken care of or not. I also knew alot about rovers because of past experiences with them, I can tell you their history from start to present. Now I will admit, I am learning the mechanics, that was an area where I had alot of learning to do. I know the typical stuff, but I have learned alot form just reading posts on here, this forum is great for stuff like that.

Here is the bad news. Rovers are often neglected before they are sold since upkeep is so expensive. So you might, and probably will, have early problems. Expect to spend up to $1000 on the first "check up". Since I got over that hump, everything has been great. Its been almost a year and no problems.

I dont know if you are depending on your parents 100% for the money, but I will tell you if you show them you can handle a car like a disco, that will go a looong way. I would consider getting a job (if you dont already) and tell them you will pay for repairs or do them yourself. Like I said, I was a soccer ref (in rec and middle level), and its only on Saturdays, and I rake in money like CRAZY, and there is NO TAXES! Obviously with school other jobs aren't an option, if you know anything about soccer (or any other sports) you ought to see if they offer it to kids your age in your area. I dont even play soccer, i just know enough about it to ref.

Now that I have had the disco for a year and I am 17, I can say I love the truck and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have had the honor of pulling out my friends jeeps and everything! Keep in mind these trucks can go anywhere, so there is a new hobby right there! It seems like everyone and their uncle has a jeep, I am the only one at my school with a rover, they look amazing. What more can you ask for?

Good luck, keep us updated on what you are looking at!

EDIT: oops, i just realized that you already said you have a job, good deal. I am 6' 4" and fit in the rover perfect. I am a track runner so I weigh a bit less but I have seen much bigger people get in a disco.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:44 PM
7th Gear

my parents are buy me the vehicle. I have about 7500 to spend. but the rest is on me. gas, insurance, repairs.I'mstarting defensive end for are football team. and I also power lift. on my spare time I work at a marina.and one of the main reasons I want a rover is because they can go anywhere. and I plan on going somewhere way the hell up in the mountains this summer. because I have always lived in florida and never have traveled to much. I also would be the only person at my school in a rover. you deff. right about jeeps to everyone and there mother, sister, and brother has one.lol

Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pretty much 2nd everything above, cept for me the initial costs were about $2500, mostly due to my Range's EAS failing (even though the Land Rover dealer assured us after I specifically asked about the quality of the EAS on the vehicle that it was fine on this one).

I'm 6'4 225 and fit fine in the Range. Insurance is the catch though. Here in NC, those of us under 25 see a bit higher rates, and even at 19, with the safe driver discount, my Range is $700 or so for 6 months. Insurance said it was repair cost, not theft risk on this one..

The Rovers are definitely the most capable, but they are a whollle lot to maintain. Doing the labor yourself is the best way to cut costs, the best rate I've found is at Discovery Automotive down here by NC State that charges 75/hour.

I would try and persuade you to the Rangies, but the disco might be a better choice for the first car...or a blazer (that was mine)

Edit: I started at D End all through high school too! Too bad the best record all 4 years was 1-9..[:-]

Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 PM
7th Gear

thank you all for such posts. I don't mined working on cars at all. so I don't think I would have a hard time with the maintenance. and wolf-pack D end ftmfw.lol I was a nose guard for a little last year to. And here in Florida the o-lines on the high school teams are massive.lol average o-line kid down here is about 6'5 and 280lbs.lol you have to be quick or you'll be eaten alive.lol

Quick Reply: first car