Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat towing with an 04 Discover with diff lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by yachtnman
ALL and Savannah Buzz:

Thank you for your replys and the notes in the manual.

Can you confirm this is from a 2004 manual please?

The information I have been able to gather is that the proper procedure which this manual confirms is that yes it can be towed all four flat if the transfer case is in neutral AND the main transmission box is in Park. The last part about it being in park did not make since to me until I talked to a Land Rover Mechanic who told me that the oil moving from the drive shafts would turn the transmission while moving even if the transfer case is in neutral and so you must put the transmission in park to lock down the transmission gears from turning in an un-lubricated state avoiding damage to the transmission parts.

In any case...I will follow the manuals directions that you provided (I don't currently have one). I do have the rave download but it doesn't address this issue.

Question: If the key is in position 1...will this just not record the mileage while being towed...or will it damage something else? I would think it would be a good thing as you need the mileage to be correct between oil/transmission changes...the only wear on the Disco while being towed is bearings and, shocks and tires.

Thanks again for your help and responses
That makes total sense.

And no, as long as the key is not in the "RUN" position it will not record the miles.
There will be no significant wear on any parts as they will all be freewheeling.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes, you want the tranny in park because in neutral the tranny with still be turning internally and heating up the fluid.
But your front pump will not be turning because the converter is not locked up, so your fluid will not be getting cooled. That is what causes most tranny to get fried when towed behind RV, some RV onwer's actually add and electric pump to the tow vehicle in order to circulate the tranny fluid while towing automatics.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
yes, you want the tranny in park because in neutral the tranny with still be turning internally and heating up the fluid.
But your front pump will not be turning because the converter is not locked up, so your fluid will not be getting cooled. That is what causes most tranny to get fried when towed behind RV, some RV onwer's actually add and electric pump to the tow vehicle in order to circulate the tranny fluid while towing automatics.
Or you can just let the engine idle.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

true, but how good do you think your disco would do idling all day 6 feet behind and RV. I think you might have some air flow problems, myself.