Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The flood of overpriced discos

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I really think in a few years the prices on these are going to go up quite a bit. All the ones left will have had serious work done and I believe they are at the bottom of their curve right now. People will look at 100k Defender and possibly decide that a 10k-20k Discovery isn't so bad.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:09 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Well those prices are pretty nuts,the modded one I could maybe see if it was running perfectly. The bumpers, lift, roof rack, winch etc.

The second one is just funny it is priced so high, fogged out headlights, appears clean but if you can not get the headlights sorted what else did they not do .

In BC they run 3000 - 9000, depending on year trim condition etc. At 2000 - 3000 it is a dice roll.

For the guys in the US everything in Canada is about 40% to 100% more, our crappy dollar and auto worker protections just kill us. As well there are no as sales here anymore, at dealers of any kind or level, at least in BC. All vehicles must pass a complete safety inspection (always claimed to free), all accidents, faults and out of province ownership disclosed and presented to the purchaser in writing. As result dealers dump junk pretty much instantly. The end result is in most cases used cars even from smaller dealers, will be mechanically functional and unlikely to have easily found issues.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:09 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Unfortunately our precieved values and what the market is willing to pay are 2 different things. You'll noticed overpriced trucks will stay listed for month and months until owners start putting fair market prices on them. $14k for an 2004 is still $5-7k above the mark. Where as $16.5 for a 2002 is complely out to lunch. What people fail to realize is most mods dont add value to the vehicle. Another thing to add, no matter how much a rust belt truck has been under coated, it's still a rust belt truck. Our frames rot from the inside.

using my market for an example. One I monitor a bit I've noticed some trends. Pre face lift d2s sell when priced under $5k. Facelift d2s sell for a few thousand more. Maybe $5-7 for a 2003 and $6-8 for a 2004. Evry few months someone will list a truck for WAY over market when the value just isnt there and others see this and think it's a price they could get. So multiple trucks get listed for ridiculous prices and none of them sell because the market just frankly isn't there. It's a massive pet peeve of mine.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcr6v1
Unfortunately our precieved values and what the market is willing to pay are 2 different things. You'll noticed overpriced trucks will stay listed for month and months until owners start putting fair market prices on them. $14k for an 2004 is still $5-7k above the mark. Where as $16.5 for a 2002 is complely out to lunch. What people fail to realize is most mods dont add value to the vehicle. Another thing to add, no matter how much a rust belt truck has been under coated, it's still a rust belt truck. Our frames rot from the inside.

using my market for an example. One I monitor a bit I've noticed some trends. Pre face lift d2s sell when priced under $5k. Facelift d2s sell for a few thousand more. Maybe $5-7 for a 2003 and $6-8 for a 2004. Evry few months someone will list a truck for WAY over market when the value just isnt there and others see this and think it's a price they could get. So multiple trucks get listed for ridiculous prices and none of them sell because the market just frankly isn't there. It's a massive pet peeve of mine.
YUP. I was too excited about getting my 1st landrover, and bought a 2004 disco 2 with 112k miles ( ARB front bumper, new all terrain tires and fancy wheels ) for $17k. the engine bay looked clean and in good condition but already had to replace the transfer case, coolant expansion tank, and chasing coolant leaks. i was looking for a project car and sure as **** got one. shouldn't have paid that much though..

Old 09-20-2018, 10:54 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got to LOVE the RED Headliner, too!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2018, 11:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Autotrader.ca has had 3 discos for sale for almost a year. Not one of those three has sold for their asking price, nor have the sellers dropped their price. Clearly waiting for some poor dumb bastard to pay the asking price. Finding junkyards with discos is getting really hard too, and they're starting to ask outrageous prices for small parts that aren't expensive bought new.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:25 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

In 10 years these will be rare I think and you can't beat the body style on these ,

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 2001 D2 from Master of Discovery over a year ago. Very clean and it has been running great ever since. It was in the 6-7K CDN$ range IIRC. (It didn’t have any of the “particular” mods that are in the one posted). I’d say the price in the linked ad is based on the accessories and not indicative of D2’s in Canada in general. Not something I would buy in any case...

The guy was interesting but honest and accommodating. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from him again.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:13 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by discosteve-MMI
I bought my 2001 D2 from Master of Discovery over a year ago. Very clean and it has been running great ever since. It was in the 6-7K CDN$ range IIRC. (It didn’t have any of the “particular” mods that are in the one posted). I’d say the price in the linked ad is based on the accessories and not indicative of D2’s in Canada in general. Not something I would buy in any case...

The guy was interesting but honest and accommodating. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from him again.
That is good to know, I bought at the upper end myself and other than a windshield leak at the top corners it has run perfectly, other than old bits like clamps failing, and few intake hose issues all age related

Old 09-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Presented without comment on sellers other ad.

Quick Reply: The flood of overpriced discos