Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fluid drops on bottom of front shock

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default fluid drops on bottom of front shock

Deleted

Last edited by Jared9220; 03-12-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
I need help finding my mysterious fluid leak. I've started to notice a few drops of fluid under my front shock in the morning and I can't tell where it is coming from.

The only place I can see a drop of fluid is the bottom of my front drivers side shock. I have cleaned it up but still can't seem to tell where the leak is coming from. My PS and Break fluids are still full and never seem to lose anything. I ordered new SS brake lines in case I have a pin hole leak in one of the rubber hoses but there is no sign they are leaking yet.

Is it possible the actual shock could be leaking?
More than likely the shock is leaking. It normally only leaks a very small amount just enough to put a small smattering of fluid amongst the dirt and dust. However, once they are leaking there's sweet FA can be done with them unless they are seriously upmarket Koni's or Bilsteins and more to the point they progessively cease to operate due to pressure losses. There is only a couple of ways to check them out, one is to remove it and inspect and the other is to tie a 'tell tale' bandage around the shock body and then see whether it is damp from oil after a few days.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:05 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes it is possible for the shock to be leaking

Old 09-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

if you think its pas or ace, you could put some of that glow in the uv junk in there.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This might be the excuse I need to finally buy one of them fancy UV kits. I love new tools If I can't find the leak when I install the new brake lines I might just have to try that.

Speaking of break lines. This is off topic but I ordered the Goodridge break lines and I'm pretty sure they only come with 4 lines. I know the AB kit has 6. Do you know of a good place to get the other 2 lines in SS?
My AB kit ABP218L only come with 4 lines, the pic showed 6 but only 4 were included.
I haven't installed them yet and was wondering the same thing about the short ones in SS or if the short ones really need to be SS.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yep, it's been in my cabinet for about a year so, probably not much I can do about it now.
I thought I looked into it right after I bought it and someone said that the picture shows all 6 but they only come with 4.
Probably is supposed to include all 6 since that's what the pic shows. I was super busy at the time and forgot I even had em for probably 6 months.

Attached Thumbnails fluid drops on bottom of front shock-dsc00186.jpg  
Old 09-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

That sucks! You bought this kit and it only came with 4?
Performance Stainless Steel Brake Hose Kit - Raised Suspension (ABP218L Same Fit As Part # ABP218L ) - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British

I think you should call or email them about that. The picture clearly shows all 6 brake hoses.

I found this hose on AB and I think it is the SS hose we are looking for but they are $40 each. I think this same hose works for both so that would be $80 to get those 2 little hoses in SS? That doesn't seem right.
Brake Flex Hose Connects Between Modulator And Pipe (SHB101350SS Same Fit As Part # SHB101350 ) - Land Rover hoses from Atlantic British

A new rubber hose is only $18 each, but I would really like for all of the rubber lines to be converted to SS. I looks like I might have to break down and pay the $80.
Brake Hose - Modulator To Rear - Land Rover hoses from Atlantic British
The price for those is ridiculous. I bought my set of 4 Goodridge for £29.95 or around $50. RN sell the two short hoses that run along the chassis leg try them. I'm informed they are a bit of a PITA to change, don't know whether that's true.

TF also sell a stainless hose kit which is probably made by Goodridge as well.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed a Terrafirma SS extended lines. The kit only had the 4 caliper lines. I got the two SS jump lines made for around $60. I will try to go back and see who made them. It was someplace in CA.

edit: http://www.crownperformance.com/land...rake-line-kit/

I had to call them to get a $$ and order it. Then don't have the two jump lines listed.

Last edited by acamato; 09-11-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
The price for those is ridiculous. I bought my set of 4 Goodridge for £29.95 or around $50. RN sell the two short hoses that run along the chassis leg try them. I'm informed they are a bit of a PITA to change, don't know whether that's true.

TF also sell a stainless hose kit which is probably made by Goodridge as well.
They were running a sale for $99.95 or something like that when I bought them. (the set I mentioned above that pictured 6 but only had 4)
Maybe that's why they were on sale. hehe!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
More than likely the shock is leaking. It normally only leaks a very small amount just enough to put a small smattering of fluid amongst the dirt and dust. However, once they are leaking there's sweet FA can be done with them unless they are seriously upmarket Koni's or Bilsteins and more to the point they progessively cease to operate due to pressure losses. There is only a couple of ways to check them out, one is to remove it and inspect and the other is to tie a 'tell tale' bandage around the shock body and then see whether it is damp from oil after a few days.

My '03 seems to sit about 1/2" to 3/4" lower in the front on the right than on the left side, measuring from the top of the tire to the fender flare. I don't see a leak, but this could've happened prior to my purchase. Is this most likely a bad shock, or could it be something else?

It does have ACE, but I didn't think that had anything to do with what I'm seeing.

Quick Reply: fluid drops on bottom of front shock