Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Diff Rotoflex Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts
Default Front Diff Rotoflex Conversion

Ok, so this is kinda backwards compared to what most people do, but what exactly would you have to do to convert the front diff to a rotoflex? I actually kinda like the rotoflex since it saves the diffs from a little shock. Could you just take the pinion flange from a rear diff and a rear driveshaft and slap them in the front? I'd say the rear shaft is a little long, but its dark out and I don't have the opportunity to measure them right now. Or rather, I don't really want to go out in the dark to lay under my truck and measure the driveshafts. Of course, the rear isn't a double cardon which could pose a problem on lifted trucks such as my own. This is just a thought. I'm guessing you'd probably have to have the front shaft taken to a driveshaft shop and have them swap the u-joint end for the rotoflex end off of a rear shaft.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Old 12-16-2015, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

You would have to put the rear 3-bolt flange on the front and then have a custom driveshaft made as the front is roughly 24.5" whereas the rear is over 30".

I'm just gonna say no. The Rotoflex is the weak link in the drivetrain. Why add another? You've had some good ideas, but I would bury this one.

Last edited by WNYErikDiscoII; 12-16-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

sweet baby jesus!

Old 12-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

all I know is I dont want to be near it under load

Old 12-16-2015, 10:31 AM
Camel Trophy

And this is why I asked on this one. Thanks everyone, we'll go ahead and put this one to bed.

The following users liked this post:
WNYErikDiscoII (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 08:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

For road purposes, I honestly think it would be fine. Many other manufacturers use rotor flexes on much higher hp and torque applications. My 911 has one that I just changed out at 75k miles. Mercedes runs them on their V12 monsters. For offroad, maybe not, but for strickly road trucks, I don't see why not.

Maybe the cost...

Old 12-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Camel Trophy

That's what I was thinking. I mean, stock units seem to be able to last north of 150k when used on the road, but I've got mine lifted 3.5" and like to off road so probably not the best decision for me. I was just thinking about it since I'm looking to run 35s and twin turbos so I figured taking a little shock off the diffs would be good. It wouldn't have worked great with my lift alone though.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I was just thinking about it since I'm looking to run 35s and twin turbos so I figured taking a little shock off the diffs would be good. It wouldn't have worked great with my lift alone though.
Well Erik would know what's required to make it work but you and I have about the same amount of lift and my truck eats front driveshafts... And I want more lift via Bronco Springs... And I have a spare flange from my rear rotoflex delete .. Hmm.

Alex if you fix your caster for whatever lift you do (and, by the way, DIY caster correction would be a project I would readily emulate like so many of your other projects) the pinion angle will be worse... So then you might have to have a double double cardan, or a rotoflex. With 35s you'd have to have big lift... So much that you might want longer radius arms. I'm thinking out loud too much here...

Honestly when my current front shaft starts squeaking (any minute now because I said it out loud) I was thinking about a double double cardan one so I can lift my truck to the heavens ... But they are sort of expensive and I think I would have to move my passenger cat to make room for it.

Hahaha. I like ZG's response.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 12-16-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:00 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, no doubt. ZG gave me a kick. I haven't eaten any front driveshafts yet. Not a single one the whole time I've owned the truck (knock on wood). IF it goes (wishful thinking there) I likely will end up with a double double cardon. Might get one made out of stronger tubing from a local driveshaft shop though. I've seen a number of stock shafts turned into pretzels with stock tires on stock springs with stock engines. With everything I'm doing I think a little extra insurance is a good plan.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Haha, no doubt. ZG gave me a kick. I haven't eaten any front driveshafts yet. Not a single one the whole time I've owned the truck (knock on wood). IF it goes (wishful thinking there) I likely will end up with a double double cardon. Might get one made out of stronger tubing from a local driveshaft shop though. I've seen a number of stock shafts turned into pretzels with stock tires on stock springs with stock engines. With everything I'm doing I think a little extra insurance is a good plan.
Haha with everything you are doing you should have the axles off of a one ton ford my friend!

Quick Reply: Front Diff Rotoflex Conversion