Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Differential Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Front Differential Rebuild

So has anyone here rebuilt a front differential. just the pumpkin. If I get the internals from RoverLand Parts, is it just plug and play or am I gonna have to break out the shim kit to get it installed.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You'll need a shim kit since it's sort of silly to rebuild it without replacing the bearings.
You'll also need a dial indicator and a tube of Prussian Blue.
Unless you're doing it for a learning experience (or suffer from OCD) it's probably cheaper in the long run to just buy a used diff.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What failed in your diff? Have you compared the prices on parts against buying a used 3rd. member?

Old 10-27-2011, 03:25 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not have any experience working on DII diffs but I exploded my D1 diff. I found a used 3rd member for $50. It was pretty easy to replace, if you have no problem lifting it into place..they are kind of heavy. The DII will be a bit more difficult since they do not have full floating axle shafts but it still shouldn't be that hard.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Ok. I have been chasing a mild vibration accompanied by athe clunk that has been getting worse. And yes, my driveshaft has been rebuilt, and then replaced so it has been eliminated. Decided to pull the shaft again and inspection for play in my front diff and transfer case. Found some play in both, but in the front diff, it was absurd. Approximately 45-50 degrees of play before anything caught. Played with it a few times and there was my audible clunking sound.
Now I know there are a few threads on here that have covered the issue of that clunking noise, and most have said, its normal. Yea, its not.
I don't plan on doing it soon. Just wanted to see if anyone has done one.
Antichrist - I may suffer wit a tinge of OCD. Noises drive me crazy.
Mike - Nothing has failed. Not yet anyway. (Runs outside to knock on oak tree)

Old 10-27-2011, 05:13 PM
TReK

did they re-balance the drive shaft? If not that would cause a vibration. As far as the cluck..I would pull 3rd member and inspect gears then re-fill with new diff fluid. IIRC my D2 front shaft had more play than I expected but does not clunk.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Ok. I have been chasing a mild vibration accompanied by athe clunk that has been getting worse. And yes, my driveshaft has been rebuilt, and then replaced so it has been eliminated. Decided to pull the shaft again and inspection for play in my front diff and transfer case. Found some play in both, but in the front diff, it was absurd. Approximately 45-50 degrees of play before anything caught. Played with it a few times and there was my audible clunking sound.
Now I know there are a few threads on here that have covered the issue of that clunking noise, and most have said, its normal. Yea, its not.
I don't plan on doing it soon. Just wanted to see if anyone has done one.
Antichrist - I may suffer wit a tinge of OCD. Noises drive me crazy.
Mike - Nothing has failed. Not yet anyway. (Runs outside to knock on oak tree)
I am having the same thoughts as to the sound. I have it too and I know its supposed to be normal, but I have a hard time believing the Discos came from the factory this way. Please post what you find.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 11-08-2011, 08:19 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello - don't suppose you would know if a mk2 & mk1 front diff's are interchangeable. Giles Disco MK1 1991 185K

Old 11-08-2011, 09:54 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Capt Gilles
hello - don't suppose you would know if a mk2 & mk1 front diff's are interchangeable. Giles Disco MK1 1991 185K
I'm guessing you are talking about a disco I and disco II...I know how you Brits like using 'mark'. To answer your question, no, they are different widths.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mj_duell
I am having the same thoughts as to the sound. I have it too and I know its supposed to be normal, but I have a hard time believing the Discos came from the factory this way. Please post what you find.

Thanks,

Mike
My 2010 FJ Cruiser had a sporadic clunk in the exact same manner as the Disco, so I am leaning towards the fact that it is "normal". Of course, there are different degrees of noise and vibration and so it is impossible to compare people's interpretation of the clunk on a forum like this - the same vehicle and noise may be considered a temendous thunk by one person and just a little tink by another.

If you find a repair that completely eliminates the clunk I would be interested to know - good luck!

Quick Reply: Front Differential Rebuild