Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Shaking

So I bought some new-to-me wheels and tires for my 2000 DII (from eBay). They are take-offs from a Range Rover. Tread on the tires is about 50%. After finally finding a set of lugs to install them, I got them installed. The first ride was slow, maybe only up to 50 mph. There were no issues. Next, thinking there was not a problem, I put my wife behind the wheel and told her she could drive it over the weekend. She called me and said she couldn't hold onto the steering wheel. She's the queen of exageration, so I took that with a grain of salt and just told her to park it, I would look at when I got back into town.

Well, turns out, she wasn't exagerating. The shake is very bad, but it's sporadic. There is a vibration at 75mph that just feels like the tires are out of ballance. This, I can handle, but the other vibration occurs at random speeds (usually around 40-50 mph), but is worse just after hitting a small bump or decellerating down hill.

The original wheels were the standard 16" wheels. The new wheels are 19", but the O.D. of the tires are almost identical, so I don't think that's a problem.

Here are my suspects in order of appearance: [ol][*]Bad tires - I doubt this since the problem is sporatic[*]Bent wheel - statistically unlikely, and doubtful due to sporatic-ness of problem[*]Shot steering stabilizer - still a possiblity I guess, but since I never noticed the problem with the stock wheels/tires, doubtful as well[*]Bad wheel bearing - I haven't checked this yet, but this could very well be the problem. I will check when I get home.[/ol]Have you guys had any experience with a problem like this? If so, can you share the secret problem?

thanks,
.brit

Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Front End Shaking

First of all, take them off right now and don't drive with them on...

Have you had them checked out? 1 can of Fix a flat can do this. Have them checked for balance and roundness. Also make sure all of your lugs are tight.

Most on here want the 16's for offroad and better tire selection. If you want bigger rims, I'll bet someone will trade you for their 18" hurricanes..

Also, check all of your ball joints (tie rod ends). With hard vibration, one pops out and your done. No steering.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the reply. This vehicle will probably never see the dirt. It will be my wife's DD if I am sure it's safe. Right now, that's a no.

I have not had them checked out yet, but that's a good point about the fix-a-flat. I hadn't thought about that. On the other hand, from my experience drivnig it, I don't think that's the problem just due to the fact that it drives perfect sometimes. I'm leaning more toward the bearing/tie-rod end bing the problem.

I'm definitely open to trading the stock wheels/tires for some hurricanes if you know anybody looking for some stockers. Here's a picture of it with the stockers:

.brit

Old 08-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You want to replace the steering srabilizer if it is originial, use only an OME replacement stabilizer.
Also crawl under your truck with a flash light, inspect the front drive shaft where it hooks to the t/case, there ar 2 u-joints in that housing, look and see if you can see any grease fittings, if not have them replaced tomorrow. Inspect each lug nut, are they toequed to 110 foot pounds of torque, are you sure they are for a Rover?
If you have any questions call me.
303-862-7680

Old 08-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Overlanding

Mike, thanks for the info. I'm headed to pick up a new floor jack (my other one is dead). I'll check your suggestions when I get back and post the results.

As for the lugs, I didn't put a torque wrench on them, but I did put a highly calibrated 3' cheater bar on them. :-) I'm sure they're for a Rover. I went to a lot of trouble to get them as the original ones wouldn't fit on the new wheels (Range Rover). I got the current ones from a mechanic at the dealership.

.brit

Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, if it is your wife's car, does she care about the big wheels? You will get a better ride and spend less on tires with the 16. Also get better all season tires for the winter. and, sorry ladies, no offense- will survive better if she hits a curb.

Check everything Mike said and I agree strongly with the OME stab. I love mine. Big difference.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Overlanding

By the time I got back with the jack last night, it was raining pretty hard and I didn't want to pull all of my junk out of the garage to pull it inside. I'm going to check it out tonight. I'll let you guys know what I see.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it's the steering stabilizer. That will be the first thing I check this evening. It looks like the OME is going for about $69 on the Internet. Do you guys have an online store that you recommend, or is that a part that my dealership will stock?

thanks again,
.brit

Old 08-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

http://www.lrrforums.com/store/ or call their office number at 650-365-4145 and ask for Tony, he'll take good care of you.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Overlanding

Thanks, Mike.

.brit

Old 08-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an almost identical problem with my 96. Same speeds/symptoms etc. I changed the wheel bearings, andgood to go! They were cheap and pretty simple to replace (nice surprise). I don't mechanic much but have done a few major accident repairs/suspension work via learn as you go. I think the whole thing took me about 2-3hrs in my basichome garagewith some simple air tools etc. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Front End Shaking