Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front End Shaking

Thanks for the info. Those are easy enough to check. I'll be at home in an hour or so and I'm going to dig into it.

.brit

Old 08-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Overlanding

Ok, so I was finally able to jack it up and check things out. I put jack stands under the frame and let the axle droop to relieve all tension on the steering components. I checked everything I could and I couldn't find ANY play in anything. This was not what I was hoping for. The next step was to put the original wheels/tires back on and take it for a test drive. With the original wheels, there was absolutely zero feedback to the steering wheel and I had to get it up to 80mph before even a hint of vibration. The ride was much smoother than with the 19" wheels/tires, much more so than what I could attribute to the larger O.D. of the wheel alone.

I am now leaning toward there being a problem with one or more of the tires. My plan is to take the wheels and tires into a tire shop tomorrow and have them checked out. That may be my last straw.

Seeing that the ride is so good with the original wheels/tires, I don't think there is a problem with my stabilizer as originally expected. I guess it's possible that the bigger, heavier tire is pushing back into the stabilizer more and just exceeding it's capacity, but at this point, that seems less likely than a problem with the new wheels/tires.

I also checked the wheel bearings the best I could with the tires still on. I couldn't get ANY movement from them. I know it's still possible that they are bad, but again, that seems less likely than a tire problem.

Please let me know your thoughts on the above jibber jabber.

thanks again,
.brit

Old 08-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

sounds like you have a bad rim or tire. Roll them on a flat surface. If one falls over- there you go. Just an FYI, larger rims are obviously heavier and will wear out your components faster.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Overlanding

I dropped them off at a local tire shop this morning. He seemed to think it may be a bad tire as well.

.brit

Old 08-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Overlanding

Turns out that at least two of the wheels are bent. After the first two, he didn't spin up any of the others. I guess that explains my problem.

I appreciate the advice you guys gave.

thanks,
.brit

Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: bmzero

Turns out that at least two of the wheels are bent. After the first two, he didn't spin up any of the others. I guess that explains my problem.

I appreciate the advice you guys gave.

thanks,
.brit
Sounds like its time to use your buyer's protection form E-bay. That sucks

Old 08-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Overlanding

He has offered to have them picked up, but he wants to straighten them and send them back. I'm very weary of this and I'm leaning toward forcing a full return.

I also checked the tires and noticed that all but one of the tires had several nails in them, and one nail was huge! I couldn't believe I didn't see it when I put them on the first time.

.brit

Old 09-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Overlanding

So apparently they couldn't get them straight. They're refunding the total purchase price today.

Could've been worse, I guess. Now I'm on the lookout for some Hurricanes.

.brit

Old 09-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Three Wheeling

That is a problem with Ebay...I like to use it but avoid it as much as possible. Though it is where I found my disco at and then I just went down to the dealer. Are you now looking to get some 18s on yours? I am planning using mine off road more and I think mine has the 18s and I will have to check.

Here is the pics off of ebay for my disco...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 09-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Overlanding

That's a good looking ride.

eBay has it's ups and downs. Overall, I've had very good luck as a seller and a buyer on eBay.

I'm looking for a set of Hurricane wheels. Yours are 18's, but they're not the Hurricanes. Looks great, though.

.brit

Quick Reply: Front End Shaking