Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump or CPS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarahcake
I'll let yall know. Still waiting for the tow truck. Anything I can test while I'm waiting?
Did you put the CPS in correctly with the spacers, exactly were they were?

No spark could be a couple things. Crank Position Sensor installed incorrectly or dead from factory. Cam position sensor is shot, Fuel pump ( just because they have pressure at the test port doesn't mean it was the correct pressure.) The ECU could not be sending the appropriate signal for the coils to fire.

Pick one.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Did you put the CPS in correctly with the spacers, exactly were they were?

No spark could be a couple things. Crank Position Sensor installed incorrectly or dead from factory. Cam position sensor is shot, Fuel pump ( just because they have pressure at the test port doesn't mean it was the correct pressure.) The ECU could not be sending the appropriate signal for the coils to fire.

Pick one.
My guy called me and informed me he was changing the coil packs and the module. Also hopefully will be installing the new wires I bought a few weeks ago. He said it has zero spark which s either the coil or the ECU. If it was the ECU then he wouldn't be able to pull any codes, it'd be giving him very false information when he hooked up the scanner. Lastly, he said if the coils didnt work, he wouldn't charge me for anything, which I'm okay with.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

....... If it was the ECU then he wouldn't be able to pull any codes, it'd be giving him very false information when he hooked up the scanner.
I have very mixed feelings on that line of reasoning. but then he says

...... he said if the coils didnt work, he wouldn't charge me for anything, which I'm okay with.
I can live with that.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by dgi 07
I have very mixed feelings on that line of reasoning. but then he says

I can live with that.
Hes leaning towards the ECU beung tripped by being immobalized. But the truck sputtered and shut off while running. He said the coils arent getting any power. I've never had a problem with the immobilizer before. Hes leanng towards the stock alarm, bt the truck wouldnt start with that being tripped. Im at a loss of ideas.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:11 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

If this helps. MAF sensor. Almost about the way you describe it. Dont ask me, my mechanic just told me to get it and I installed it. The way he tested it by unpugging the MAF. then the truck started back again but it will die in few minutes. Until its replaced, now smooth running. Bad MAF.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
If this helps. MAF sensor. Almost about the way you describe it. Dont ask me, my mechanic just told me to get it and I installed it. The way he tested it by unpugging the MAF. then the truck started back again but it will die in few minutes. Until its replaced, now smooth running. Bad MAF.
I got a call from my mechanic saying that the truck was fixed. He installed another CPS , new battery and apparently got around the trucks immobilizer. I got there excited to see it and ready for a test drive, and they crank it over, no start. I was deflated, he was pissed. It sounds good, but it's still not starting. As for the MAF, i unplugged it, and it still didn't start. I'm running out of options at this point. We're moving in 9 days, this thing s supposed to haul our stuff and trailer. Im trying not to stress out, but its difficult not to. What am I missing?

Old 02-25-2016, 10:52 PM
TReK

Just going back to your #1 post:

Therefore, malfunctions in the fuel pump can result from an issue in either one of these processes. Let’s take a look at the common signs of these problems.
1. The Engine Sputters at High Speed

The most common early sign of a problem with a fuel pump comes when driving a vehicle at a consistent high speed. While traveling down the road, the car will run well for about 10 miles and then begin to jerk around, or sputter, for a mile or two before returning to normal.
What This Means

Many people will mistakenly diagnose a sputtering vehicle as one with "dirty" gas or some other fuel-related issue. And while that can be the case, it is not uncommon for a fatigued fuel pump to create this same symptom as it struggles to supply a constant stream of fuel to the engine at the proper pressure. The loss of pressure causes the engine to sputter.
2. Vehicle Loses Power While Accelerating

The feelings generated by this second symptom are very similar to the first. However, rather than experience a sputtering sensation while driving, vehicles will experience it upon acceleration from a stop. Generally, the vehicle will initially move before making noises and jerking around as if it will stall. Then, it will continue on its acceleration path smoothly.
What This Means

The process of acceleration creates an increased demand for fuel by the engine. A malfunctioning fuel pump, again, cannot maintain the required pressure to deliver this fuel in a steady manner, thereby causing the engine to improperly mix fuel and air and lose power. Once pressure is restored, the engine is able to run smoothly and the car takes off.
3. Sudden Loss of Power When the Vehicle Is Under Stress

A car or truck is put under stress when the work needed to complete an ordinary task, such as forward movement, is somehow hindered by external forces. Generally, this occurs when climbing a hill or when hauling a load. If, when completing these tasks, the vehicle loses power, cannot accelerate, or begins to sputter, the fuel pump is a possible culprit.
What This Means

Generally, a fuel pump, even an aging one, can maintain a steady stream of fuel and pressure when operating under normal conditions. However, once put under stress, the weakening elements of the pump will begin to take control and the fuel delivery will not be able to keep up with its demands, leading to power loss.
4. Surging

The opposite effect of the above symptoms, surging, can also be a sign of a malfunctioning fuel pump. A car that surges will be moving along normally at a consistent speed. Then, with no driver intervention, will pick up and "surge" forward, as if the gas pedal had been depressed.
What This Means

This is something that many people will mistakenly blame on the fuel filter since it is not "like" any of the other fuel pump malfunction signs. However, this surge is created because, as a result of age and normal wear and tear, the fuel pump now has irregular resistance within its motor. This creates a situation where the pump cannot draw enough electricity to maintain the pressure needed for steady speeds and may "surge" with a sudden ratcheting up in pressure.
5. The Engine Will Not Start

The final symptom of a malfunctioning fuel pump is also the most severe. Drivers who ignore the signs listed above will all eventually end up here. When a car or truck’s engine will not start as a result of a fuel pump malfunction. Basically, the engine will rev, but it will not catch.
What This Means

When a fuel pump has malfunctioned to the point that the car will no longer start, this means that there is no fuel reaching the engine upon ignition. For that reason, drivers will hear the sparks try to ignite, but there will be no fuel to burn. To diagnose a fuel pump malfunction, check for a blown fuse and pressure in the fuel line (it will be 0).

Old 02-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Just going back to your #1 post:

Therefore, malfunctions in the fuel pump can result from an issue in either one of these processes. Let’s take a look at the common signs of these problems.
1. The Engine Sputters at High Speed

The most common early sign of a problem with a fuel pump comes when driving a vehicle at a consistent high speed. While traveling down the road, the car will run well for about 10 miles and then begin to jerk around, or sputter, for a mile or two before returning to normal.
What This Means

Many people will mistakenly diagnose a sputtering vehicle as one with "dirty" gas or some other fuel-related issue. And while that can be the case, it is not uncommon for a fatigued fuel pump to create this same symptom as it struggles to supply a constant stream of fuel to the engine at the proper pressure. The loss of pressure causes the engine to sputter.
2. Vehicle Loses Power While Accelerating

The feelings generated by this second symptom are very similar to the first. However, rather than experience a sputtering sensation while driving, vehicles will experience it upon acceleration from a stop. Generally, the vehicle will initially move before making noises and jerking around as if it will stall. Then, it will continue on its acceleration path smoothly.
What This Means

The process of acceleration creates an increased demand for fuel by the engine. A malfunctioning fuel pump, again, cannot maintain the required pressure to deliver this fuel in a steady manner, thereby causing the engine to improperly mix fuel and air and lose power. Once pressure is restored, the engine is able to run smoothly and the car takes off.
3. Sudden Loss of Power When the Vehicle Is Under Stress

A car or truck is put under stress when the work needed to complete an ordinary task, such as forward movement, is somehow hindered by external forces. Generally, this occurs when climbing a hill or when hauling a load. If, when completing these tasks, the vehicle loses power, cannot accelerate, or begins to sputter, the fuel pump is a possible culprit.
What This Means

Generally, a fuel pump, even an aging one, can maintain a steady stream of fuel and pressure when operating under normal conditions. However, once put under stress, the weakening elements of the pump will begin to take control and the fuel delivery will not be able to keep up with its demands, leading to power loss.
4. Surging

The opposite effect of the above symptoms, surging, can also be a sign of a malfunctioning fuel pump. A car that surges will be moving along normally at a consistent speed. Then, with no driver intervention, will pick up and "surge" forward, as if the gas pedal had been depressed.
What This Means

This is something that many people will mistakenly blame on the fuel filter since it is not "like" any of the other fuel pump malfunction signs. However, this surge is created because, as a result of age and normal wear and tear, the fuel pump now has irregular resistance within its motor. This creates a situation where the pump cannot draw enough electricity to maintain the pressure needed for steady speeds and may "surge" with a sudden ratcheting up in pressure.
5. The Engine Will Not Start

The final symptom of a malfunctioning fuel pump is also the most severe. Drivers who ignore the signs listed above will all eventually end up here. When a car or truck’s engine will not start as a result of a fuel pump malfunction. Basically, the engine will rev, but it will not catch.
What This Means

When a fuel pump has malfunctioned to the point that the car will no longer start, this means that there is no fuel reaching the engine upon ignition. For that reason, drivers will hear the sparks try to ignite, but there will be no fuel to burn. To diagnose a fuel pump malfunction, check for a blown fuse and pressure in the fuel line (it will be 0).
Thank you for that thorough reply. Its getting proper fuel pressure, but no spark. Since its been at the mechanic, it sometimes starts, and when it doesn't, they say that it has no spark. Wheather from a broken wire, or loose ground, I'm not sure. I'm trying to focus on not stressing out over not knowing the issue.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you for that thorough reply. Its getting proper fuel pressure, but no spark. Since its been at the mechanic, it sometimes starts, and when it doesn't, they say that it has no spark. Wheather from a broken wire, or loose ground, I'm not sure. I'm trying to focus on not stressing out over not knowing the issue.
So I got it towed to West Coast Rovers in Lake Forest Ca, they had it for two days and called me to tell me it was ready to be picked up. It was the coils and the wires that were bad. They replaced them, found out my driver side fuse panel was also going out, and it needs to be replaced as well. We're driving up the coast tomorrow to go pick it up! I'm super excited!

Old 03-02-2016, 10:24 PM
TReK

So I got it towed to West Coast Rovers in Lake Forest Ca, they had it for two days and called me to tell me it was ready to be picked up. It was the coils and the wires that were bad. They replaced them, found out my driver side fuse panel was also going out, and it needs to be replaced as well. We're driving up the coast tomorrow to go pick it up! I'm super excited!

SUPER! Enjoy your trip!