Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Full Time Job (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/full-time-job-47012/)

hhalimi 01-28-2012 02:07 PM

Full Time Job

My 04 Discovery has turned into a Full time job for me, while driving it, radio and heat/air are off to listen for any ticking and grumbling. I am under the car every time when i come home to look for leaks and go back after dinner to find out what caused the daily error codes. My wife is not happy at all. Skid plate and radiotor cover remains off, so I can observe things and I am hesitant to put them back on just in cae if i need to do any thing. My garage and my slef now always smell like a mechanic shop.
I have big dreams for the disco, including bigger tires lift and some interior upgrades and repairs, which will take me even more time. When I am not babying the car I am on this forum. I learned alot here and you guys are a great bunch of folks. Thank you.

borchera 01-28-2012 03:29 PM

Ditto I am in the same situation with our first Land Rover - our son thinks I have a Disco Disorder.

Budgeted money for a CDL, Tires and Waxoyl only see these wishes go out the window for necessary repairs.

2003 Discovery 124 K with High Miles service complete

Savannah Buzz 01-28-2012 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Other symptoms of the Disco Disease include taking SWMBO to dinner near the parts store or Harbor Freight, planning business or familty trips around which salvage yards will be passed, stopping to assess problems of Rovers on the side of the road, wreckless eyeballing of roof racks, endless searching in the RAVE, buying oil-sorb in 100 pound bags, reminding SWMBO that all you want for a gift is an Ultra Gauge, trying to convice her that the canvas seatcovers you bought for the truck are "her gift", spending too much time in the tool aisle and in Harbor Freight, using a jug of Rotella for door stop in the kitchen, and serious slimming of the wallet....

jeffh 01-28-2012 05:04 PM

I' am sorry is there a problem that needs to be addressed here! I thought this forum was for questions and answers...:)

Spike555 01-28-2012 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by hhalimi (Post 295981)
My 04 Discovery has turned into a Full time job for me, while driving it, radio and heat/air are off to listen for any ticking and grumbling. I am under the car every time when i come home to look for leaks and go back after dinner to find out what caused the daily error codes. My wife is not happy at all. Skid plate and radiotor cover remains off, so I can observe things and I am hesitant to put them back on just in cae if i need to do any thing. My garage and my slef now always smell like a mechanic shop.
I have big dreams for the disco, including bigger tires lift and some interior upgrades and repairs, which will take me even more time. When I am not babying the car I am on this forum. I learned alot here and you guys are a great bunch of folks. Thank you.

Just drive the damn thing and dont worry about it, unless the temp needle is above the 3/4 mark or the oil light is on...who cares?

hhalimi 01-28-2012 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz (Post 296006)
Other symptoms of the Disco Disease include taking SWMBO to dinner near the parts store or Harbor Freight, planning business or familty trips around which salvage yards will be passed, stopping to assess problems of Rovers on the side of the road, wreckless eyeballing of roof racks, endless searching in the RAVE, buying oil-sorb in 100 pound bags, reminding SWMBO that all you want for a gift is an Ultra Gauge, trying to convice her that the canvas seatcovers you bought for the truck are "her gift", spending too much time in the tool aisle and in Harbor Freight, using a jug of Rotella for door stop in the kitchen, and serious slimming of the wallet....

Have most of these symptoms, did you find a medicine for it?

hhalimi 01-28-2012 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 296010)
Just drive the damn thing and dont worry about it, unless the temp needle is above the 3/4 mark or the oil light is on...who cares?

Thiss is what my brains tell me to do, I hope it will win.

The crowning on the cake today was that I run out of gas, thinking I will make it to the Shell next to my home, wife and kids in the car 8:00pm, Fr..ing cold, police behind me. And you can imagine what I had to listen too from my wife

Savannah Buzz 01-28-2012 08:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
re: Have most of these symptoms, did you find a medicine for it?

The only known cure comes in boxes. The complete knocked down Defender.... some assembly required.

Or just take a vacation to Disney World (and stop for dinner at DownTown Disney, it's great food, honey, and the kids will love it)...

cminer 01-28-2012 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by hhalimi (Post 296040)
Thiss is what my brains tell me to do, I hope it will win.

The crowning on the cake today was that I run out of gas, thinking I will make it to the Shell next to my home, wife and kids in the car 8:00pm, Fr..ing cold, police behind me. And you can imagine what I had to listen too from my wife

My first day with the Rover I ran out of gas trying to make it to Costco to save .15 cents a gallon. I got within 2 blocks of the costco with the yellow light on the 15 miles from my house to not make it up a slight incline. Ended up walking 2 blocks to Costco to find out they don't sell gas tanks then back to another gas station to pay $10 for a one gallon tank. Well because the Rover was on a slight incline the one gallon I put in it wasn't enough to start it. Another trip to the gas station for one more gallon of gas before putting $70 dollars worth in it at Costco. Learned an important lesson that if the yellow light comes on pull into the next station and feed her. :mad:

Mtree 01-28-2012 10:30 PM

Running out of Gas freakin sux!!!!

I feel like the light on my rover is on way too much these days, but i have a CEL for an O2 sensor that might be messing with my air/fuel mix tho