Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun first day of ownership!! Getting some things in shape. BG Engine Purge, Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun first day of ownership!! Getting some things in shape. BG Engine Purge, Seafoam

For those not wanting to read the saga, my view on the BG Engine Purge is below. So I finally stopped searching and I pulled the trigger on an 04 Disco SE from a wholesaler. Long story short, I bought and flew to Houston from FL to pickup. The vehicle I picked was originally an 04 Black and cream with 105k in the very low trade in value range. I should have known something was wrong at the price.

They picked me up from airport in a nice lincoln but upon stepping out on there lot they were sitting there revving the engine to try to get the knock to go away. Being a tech who brought a carryon of two full ratchet sets and many other tools including my MAC tools scanner. I proceeded to look at vehicle a little deeper cause it was super clean in and out and thought maybe I could get it even cheaper and repair. I decided driving back and purchasing one that I cannot properly diagnose without tearing down was not a good option. First thought was lifters and might need a cam but I couldnt chance it. So I sat with the owner and told him I flew there on a conversation the engine was in serviced fine running condition. Upon further inspection coolant jug was muddy. So I said no go on black. Funny part is its back on the bay and not listed as knocking. So anyone buying online Ill give you the VIN in PM if your considering purchasing a black and cream disco.

He knew I was pissed so I flipped him to the Silver and black 04 he had with 95k he was asking 1500 more for listed. For $500 less then I negotiated the black he broke after I started talking reimburse me my deposit and prepare for a plane flight bill. It is super clean in and out, fluids where serviced and coolant jug was clean. But had one issue. Upon inspecting I had cylinder 1 and 6 misfires. My thought instantly was wires and coil since both missing cylinders go to same pack. Here is what I found. Cracked boots. So I electrical taped and drove. Strange all fluids where up to date but the wires were crap. Guess someone didnt want to spend the cash on labor or could not do it themselves.

Had to drive home 583 miles with it in limp mode not fun but got a cheap nice truck. I replaced this morning the spark plugs with Bosch 4's, Napa Premium wire set till I can get magnacores or sti's. And once I got back there I decided I wasnt going to chance the coil so I replaced. Who the heck thought of that design there's only a million other placees to fit the coils. I honestly thought of making a bracket and run custom wires. Oh well.

She is now on day one running like a champ, smooth as grease lightning. I did find the throttle body heater gasket leaking and I need to replace

no other signs of coolant leaks. As for oil, pan is leaking and possibly timing cover. Motor is very quiet after warming up, but upon letting sit I get lifter tap for about 1 minute then it goes totally away. So I purchased some BG Engine Purge for the first time being satisfied with everything BG so far.

Little copy paste action on BG Purge first: BG Engine Purge is not an ordinary engine flush. It is an effective blend of solvents and dispersants which will quickly and safely remove accumulated sludge and other deposits from the engine. It can actually restore compression by removing soot and deposits from around the rings; hence, the compression rings seal in compression gases. BG Engine Purge does not contain harmful chlorinated solvents. It may be used in gasoline, diesel and rotary engines.

BG ENGINE PURGE PROCEDURE I used as follows and have since cranked the vehicle 5 time since completing job and letting it rest over the course of several hours and no more tick tick!!! Here is what I did. Im not saying this works for everyone so please use your own discretion.

I drained the original oil while it was hot, not knowing what was in it anyways, but left filter. I added 6 qts. of Rotella T 15w40 and brought the engine up to running temp. I then shut the vehicle off and poured in the "BG Purge". I then wedged a allen wrench in the throttle assembly to hold an RPM of 1200 shown in the pic below.

The bottle says 1200-1900 but I figured less heat on bearing and such so I'd stay on the low side. After finding the proper size allen wrench to wedge which took some playing I then ran vehicle for 60 minutes.

After running vehicle I drained it again hot and proceeded with a normal oil change with 6 fresh qts of Rotella T and a can BG MOA, with a WIX oil filter. I will say the fresh rotella I mixed with the purge when drained was not super dark brown but looked like oil with 1500-2000 miles was brown but not dark or black. There was no chunks and the product seemed to break everything down into the oil. Tomorrow Im going to drain my oil pan and see what inside. I was then done with the Purge and oil change and the tick was gone. I have to say BG has once again surprised me and continues to be my go to brand. Napa carries it locally here in FL.

I then finished some other much needed care. Installed new Wix air, cleaned TB, and stuck a can of BG 44k in tank. I then used the method posted on the board for the seafoam induction clean. Wow my neighbors hate me now. They were having a BBQ next door and they were the only thing getting smoked out. Shes really running like a perfect champ though and no codes are back. And tick is not back. Next will be D/S, trans and Diff change. and post some pics of the new ride.

Also want to send a special thanks the DiscoMike for calling me while I was on my way home from houston driving the car in limp mode. We discussed many things to look for while scanner was in hand and he made me feel confident it was wires, coils, spark plugs, or a combination of both. I was pretty sure being a gearhead but not ever owning a Disco it was nice to hear it from him. I have been part of many forums and never have I seen a commitment like his. I got a call withing an hour of my post. Thanks again and Im a happy new Owner YAY!! Now for the endless fun of the work ahead.

Last edited by MARSRover; 06-28-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal! I have not heard of the BG purge! I will look into that for my ticking DI! Nothing can make it to much worse! Nothing to loose now that it is not a Daily Driver!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Overlanding

I was seeking BG Quick Clean which is a 10 minute flush we used to use in dealers. This always seemed to work well. Im am very happy I used the Purge it worked for me maybe it will help others. I will say my tick was originally only for about a minute. I was pronounced but not super loud. Faintly in cab with windows up but with windows down like a church bell going off. You knew it was there but wasnt a hard knock. Ill be even more impressed and will post back in morning after giving time for lifters to leak down. . Done working on this beast for a day or two my hand are cut up like a school boy in a psych ward after the ignition coil job.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lucky you.
I bought mine in a similar situation. No flights involved though.
Mine is currently sitting at the mechanic getting prepped for new, timing cover gasket, timing gears and chain, oil pump housing, and radiator (t-stat too).

I got all the parts from my mechanic, except the radiator, I got that from Justin @ L8. $230 shipped

Yippee, where was that post about "Why do you love your Rover?"

Good news is I don't have a car payment, bad news is I have a maintenance payment

Still love my Rover.

Last edited by primussucks; 06-28-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:17 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Quite a deal with a dealer. Sounds like you had to mention lawsuit?

Please tell again the deal you got?
How many miles, year and what you paid...
Good job getting it home and through the dealer process.

One note:
If you paid the FL dealer tax-
the FL dealer will most likely pocket that.
You may get a call from the dealer later mentioning you owe tax to them
as
FL state will audit the dealer and see that tax was not paid.

Happened to me when I bought a Jetski from FL dealer.
I had to contact the FL attorney general.
The dealer then backed down.
Actually the Dealer's lawyer contacted me and demanded payment of
FL state tax - after I had paid it already - and they collected it Illegally
as I was an out of state transaction.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Overlanding

Jfall I live in FL bought in Houston paid cash no tax till I register back in FL which is 6.5% where I live. I did have to push quite I bit, but I was at $k for the black and ended up at $ OTD for the silver. It is a 2004 Disco 2 with 95k very clean in and out. I have since in two days spent only about 300 in all fluids, and ignition related items. Plan on a few more for a front D/S and tires. But thats really all she needs here is a few pics.

And for primus, Im glad I dont have a payment also. But now a maintenance bill, I always find myself working on something so Im kinda used to it. My other ride is an 01 Trans am with a 383 Stroker LS1 6.3L and a 78mm turbo and methanol injection with 45k miles but with 8-12MPG its gotta go. 650+RWHP. Up for sale now that I got the Rover. Here are a few teasers also.

Last edited by MARSRover; 06-29-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Do the thermostat bypass with a 180* thermostat.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Overlanding

You mean throttle body bypass, and drop the thermostat down to a 180 degree ?

Old 06-30-2012, 12:25 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what he means. I just replaced my thermostat with a
Amazon Amazon
Truck runs 5-8 degrees cooler and it was plug and play.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks nice, Best of luck with it!
Smart move not taking the one with an engine knock

Quick Reply: Fun first day of ownership!! Getting some things in shape. BG Engine Purge, Seafoam