Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny wear on rear pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny wear on rear pads

Stumped by the condition of my rear pads. Land rover discovery 2. Back brakes were getting kind of weak. Pulled off the back left and found the inside pad next to piston completely warn. The outer pad 80% new. Tested the slider pins and one was seazed. Figured that was issue. Used c clamp and pushed piston in with out issue. Pulled off right wheel and examined the pads. Same issue. Inner pad warn completely and outer with plenty of pad left. However both pins worked as normal. Pushed piston in with c clamp without issue.

Why was the inner warn and not outer? If the piston had seazed would I be able to push in easily with c clamp?

Old 07-02-2018, 11:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the mounting brackets that hold the pads in, I had mine have a worn spot where the brake pads ride on. There was a noticeable valley that was keeping the brake pad from mpving as it should. I wish now I would have taken a picture to show. But i was getting crazy squealing with new brake pads, I resurfaced with a file just enough to give pad a smooth surface to ride on. Afterwards no squealing and it felt better when braking. Just an idea,
Jose

Old 07-03-2018, 12:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,175 Likes on 812 Posts

What is this a thing this weekend wierd brake issues, my left rears were worn vertically much thinner at the lower edge than the top. Caliper "appears fine", replaced the pads marked the disk with a sharpie and took a test dive. Sharpie marks were removed as expected.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

My wife just told me the front right caliper is froze...lol, I asked her how do you know that, she says its pulling to the right and making a noise.

Are these trucks sync'ed or something?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Mudding

I am replacing the pads, rotors, and cakioer carrier. I am not going to replace the caliper at this time. Hope that is the right call. I suppose a good flush is a good Idea as well. These trucks can be goofy!

Old 07-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spam2021
Check the mounting brackets that hold the pads in, I had mine have a worn spot where the brake pads ride on. There was a noticeable valley that was keeping the brake pad from mpving as it should. I wish now I would have taken a picture to show. But i was getting crazy squealing with new brake pads, I resurfaced with a file just enough to give pad a smooth surface to ride on. Afterwards no squealing and it felt better when braking. Just an idea,
Jose
I deff had a pin seize on one side. On the other everything seemed in reasonable order. I will clean everything up. See how it goes. I opted for expensive pads and rotors so hope I don't miss anything.