Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glass shop broke A pillar trim

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 03:51 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Glass shop broke A pillar trim

Getting my windshield replaced and the shop called me to look at rust before they fixed it. While there I noticed they broke the tabs on the a pillar trim. I asked them about it and said i assume you are going to replace what you broke and he says "its 20 year old plastic, I'm just going to glue the tabs back on"

I was already annoyed at this point because I was told the truck would be ready for 5 on Friday and they called me saying they just got the windshield out at 330.

should they replace them? To make it worse they took them off and didnt even realize they were plastic rivets holding them on. Claimed they were push pins. Guy shows me what came out and low and behold it's a plastic rivet. Idiots.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Similar thing happened to me with safelite. I noticed the a pillars were loose after they left (tip: inspect before they leave, breaking those clips is almost inevitable). I called them up and told them to replace it, and they went the extra mile and replaced both a pillars and the lower cowl, as the colors would be way off if only A pillar was replaced. So yeah, be nice, and make sure they replace it. The company should have a warranty policy and it’s not like the guy you talk to is out of pocket personally, so push to make sure they fix it proper.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:08 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

I have had a glass shop break those twice, each time they gave it back to me without mentioning it... As soon as I called them on it they got new A pillars and installed those. Not sure if they billed the insurance or just ate the cost but I assume it got billed. Next time I'll go for a new matching cowl trim piece too!!! The newer style A pillar trim is matte black rather than the OG gloss black plastic. Is the cowl piece matte too?

Old 04-27-2018, 04:53 PM
Pro Wrench

Yes it is. The matte looks good.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I remove everything before I take it to them or they show up!

Old 04-28-2018, 06:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I need new glass. What is the best way to get them off?

Old 04-28-2018, 11:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
I need new glass. What is the best way to get them off?
Atlantic British has a video on removing and installing

I used this method at a wrecker, I literally boiled water, dropping a towel in it and leaving it on the a Pillar trim for a couple minutes to heat everything up. Poured the left over down from on top so it ran underneath.

Figured if it was warm or hot the plastic would be softer and less likely to break.

It worked but whether I was lucky or the hot water helped I have no idea.

I have not put the new ones on yet as I am trying to figure a way to reinforce the tabs.

I am thinking some pop can aluminum and JB Weld Epoxy. Form a pocket with wings. Epoxy the the pocket and wings to the plastic tab and A pillar underside. Use the metal clip to hold it tight while it drys so it will socket correctly.

That "should" prevent the tabs breaking. Then a bit of grease on the metal bits before assembly to reduced rusting and ease assembly. I can at least test with the old broken ones to see if works.

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
JUKE179r (04-28-2018), mr. choodles (04-30-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Pro Wrench

Why remove them yourself, and be liable for damage? Have the shop do it, and they will replace them when they get broken

Old 04-28-2018, 01:55 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Why remove them yourself, and be liable for damage? Have the shop do it, and they will replace them when they get broken
the issue I'm having is getting them to replace what they broke. And the fact they broke the tabs and didnt even tell me, I just happened to see it.

the ""manager"" (who was early 20s) is saying its 20yr old plastic so they aren't liable because I should have know it could happen. Not even offering a discount.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Richard has the right idea. Make sure when you work on the plastic parts, the plastic is warm. You do NOT want to do this job early in the morning when things are cold. Also, you must not twist the panels at any time. Pull them straight out. If you twist, you'll break off the tabs for sure.

When replacing the windshield: Take the A-pillars off. Mark the frame where the lower cowling sits, take the cowling off. Take off the rail drips and give the car to the shop just like that so that they cannot break those expensive plastic parts.

On a final note--if you have the original A pillar trim and the cowling, replace them with new parts. Really lifts up the face of the truck :-)

Quick Reply: Glass shop broke A pillar trim