Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a little bit rough idle normal. (No codes)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:43 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Is a little bit rough idle normal. (No codes)

I have a new Turner engine installed in my 2004 Discovery.

At idle, there is some vibration or stumble, kinda how like a truck would at low rpm or idle. Like I said, there are no check engine lights and power seems real good under acceleration. The motor mounts are brand new so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

Is it normal to have some vibration at idle?

I have a Hawkeye Total, is there anything I can look at to see what is going on?

Last edited by Jason_B; 10-18-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:10 PM
Winching

One thing that might be worth mentioning is that I have the upgraded camshafts from Turner. Maybe this is affecting the idle a little bit?

Old 10-19-2018, 02:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

I'm supposing you did a tune up while replacing engine...but you don't mention it. So, l'd start with your basic tune up...if that hasn't been done recently. Did you have the injectors cleaned/rebuilt while the engine was being assembled? If not, could be dirty/failed injector(s). Try using an over the counter additive, this may help. Did you clean the throttle body while off? If not, remove air intake hose assembly and clean with throttle body cleaner. Is the air filter new? Check for vacuum leaks, also.

It may take the ECM a while to adapt to the different cam, also. You could give it a couple weeks worth of driving to see if it changes on its own.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 10-19-2018 at 02:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jason_B (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 11:08 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I'm supposing you did a tune up while replacing engine...but you don't mention it. So, l'd start with your basic tune up...if that hasn't been done recently. Did you have the injectors cleaned/rebuilt while the engine was being assembled? If not, could be dirty/failed injector(s). Try using an over the counter additive, this may help. Did you clean the throttle body while off? If not, remove air intake hose assembly and clean with throttle body cleaner. Is the air filter new? Check for vacuum leaks, also.

It may take the ECM a while to adapt to the different cam, also. You could give it a couple weeks worth of driving to see if it changes on its own.

Brian.
I really appreciate all your help. With the new engine, I got new plugs, wires, air filter, I am checking the paperwork to see if the MAF was replaced. The shop said the O2 sensors looked new but I think I might just replace them and the MAF (unless the MAF was just replaced). Based on the carbon build up on the previous engine, I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner was using 89 gas. Maybe the injectors are dirty. I don't think the shop had them rebuilt and I am not sure about cleaning them or not.

Just ordered a smoke tester so I will check for vacuum leaks.

Do you think the fuel pump could have anything to do with it. Sometimes when I am cranking the car it takes about 1.5 seconds to start up. On a previous Discovery I had, this was a sign of a failing fuel pump.

How big of a deal is it to pull the injectors and have them cleaned?

Thanks again, your a life saver!

Old 10-19-2018, 11:34 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

Pulling the injectors means taking off the upper intake manifold at the very least.
Was the oil baffle in the rocker cover cleaned/replaced? If you had a lot of carbon buildup that could have been a contributing factor. Simplest and most reliable option is probably to remove that piece entirely and change to the Fram PCV instead.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Before you pull injectors, run seafo in a tank of gas.

i just diagnosed a rough idle/stall, and I believe it was either clogged air filter, corroded battery posts/terminals or acombo of those.

my Kent 180 Cam has a sort of surging idle, but not rough.

Make sure the upper intake is torqued, and all of the air intake hoses are tight. Could be a small vacuum leak.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Yes, try some injector cleaner first (additive). Just be careful, and do exactly what it says on the directions. More is not better, when it comes to some additives. You can damage your 02 sensors, by overloading the system with additives. If the additive says mix to 15 gallons of fuel, do that. Now, you can do it again...after running the first tank down.

Like l said earlier, add some injector cleaner and drive it for a couple weeks. Give the ECM time to adjust to the new cam and hardware.

Don't get all crazy throwing part after part at it...it could be a bad tank of fuel or dirty fuel injector?

Brian.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

My Turner has the Kent cam. It definitely has a lopey idle from the cam. If you have an upgraded cam then it is perfectly normal.

The following users liked this post:
Jason_B (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by dtmbinb
My Turner has the Kent cam. It definitely has a lopey idle from the cam. If you have an upgraded cam then it is perfectly normal.
Thanks for the response. It is a pretty slight little bump bump here and there, so I would tend to agree with this. I went ahead and ordered new MAF and O2 sensors anyway. Can't hurt. Thanks again.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a slight miss at idle on stock spark plugs at 170k miles. I adjusted the spark plug gap to .035 and it was noticeably smoother. I never would have thought but it did help. I searched the local JLR dealer records and no notes on spark plug replacement from previous owner. Maybe that’s why he dumped the car and got a new one.

Quick Reply: Is a little bit rough idle normal. (No codes)