Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a couple of things out of the way today.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Got a couple of things out of the way today.

Pulled a couple of plugs before it started raining today, and still getting a wet (albeit, a less wet) plug on the #8 cylinder. Pulled the #6 plug to compare, and I'm still getting carbon buildup, although again, a whole lot less. It's weird too. One half of the electrode is white, while the other half is black. Not sure what that means.

Anyway, I took it to Auto Zone, and pulled the codes. Even after replacing the #8 injector with a KNOWN good one, I am still getting P0208 and P0308 codes. I even got a P0305, which makes me suspect that the coil is ready to take a dump on me since both the #8 and #5 cylinder run off the same one.

Anyway, I pulled the plug for the inertia switch to kill the fuel pump, and hooked a compression tester up the the #8 cylinder. Just over 150psi, which is acceptable, according to the phone conversation I had with Disco Mike about two hours ago (thanks again Mike!). That relieves me, because I had feared for a little while that that cylinder had no compression.

Gonna bite the bullet, and spend my $90 at the shop tomorrow, just so they can tell me how much more money I'm going to need to spend.......

Old 04-19-2009, 10:29 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

With what you have already done and what you're still describing I'm inclined to agree that the coil pack is the most likely problem. The only thing that makes me think the problem is something besides the coil is the P0208 - #8 fuel injector circuit fault. If the cylinder isn't getting fuel or not getting the right amount that could cause a misfire. As I write this my brain keeps jumping to the fuel injector harness. An open or short in the wiring going to that particular cylinder.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
With what you have already done and what you're still describing I'm inclined to agree that the coil pack is the most likely problem. The only thing that makes me think the problem is something besides the coil is the P0208 - #8 fuel injector circuit fault. If the cylinder isn't getting fuel or not getting the right amount that could cause a misfire. As I write this my brain keeps jumping to the fuel injector harness. An open or short in the wiring going to that particular cylinder.
Yeah, Disco Mike had the same idea. He said a harness or maybe, not likely, but maybe an ECM. The wires looked ok when I changed the injector, and there is no damage that I can see in the wiring harness.