Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   have some questions (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/have-some-questions-47031/)

joking41 01-29-2012 12:13 AM

have some questions

okay i got a 2000 disco 2 been doing work as i can. alright i got like 10 codes got most of them sorted but few i wana ask about. during cold start it runs and when driving cold the 3 amigoes will flash for about a block then i regain power. between my 95 and the 2000 my 3.9 has atleast 2x's the power. i cleaned the maf, replacing upper plenum gasket soon this week. autozone says im having missfires so hoping upper plenum gasket will fix it was pretty worn when i did the wires. it also has a code popping up of gear 3 incorrect ratio?? i checked my fluid levels every week due to a power steering leak. the tranny has fluid it drips from the fill level screw hole. another thing on the tranny is low gear when i shift to low gear a light starts blinking with a buzzer on the dash 2 gears with a cross inbetween but low gears engages???? suggestions please comments welcomed opinion awsome. im starting to get a little frustrated with the 2000. but loving my 95. so its a love:) hate:mad: relationship.

Disco Mike 01-29-2012 09:03 AM

You might stop what you are doing and send me your number so I can call and walk you thru what to do. You most likely have already killed your MAF that will normally not take to being cleaned.

joking41 01-30-2012 09:13 AM

Why can't landrover be easy like honda's and toyota's my 95 gives me no trouble...

joking41 01-30-2012 09:15 AM

Message me and ill give u my contact info

hilltoppersx 01-30-2012 09:26 AM

what codes are you getting specifically? are you checking the transmission fluid with the truck running? the warning indicator when going form to hi to lo is letting you know the transfer case is in neutral. it will continue to beep and be on until you are in either hi or lo. when was the last time you changed your platinum plugs and are you running 8mm wires?

joking41 01-30-2012 05:54 PM

7mm wires since I didn't have enough for some magnacore I have a list of codes for you guys lemme write them down before I do that I don't get the transfer case because low works ove had to use it a few times just beeps tho I checked and regapped the plugs in it they were 7 off from oem specs some even 10 idk what brand this truck is gona become my moms problem its eating up my money n time I have customers cars I work on too so its not easy. Ill list the codes soon they are from the last time I went so they may be different since

joking41 01-30-2012 06:07 PM

my last code PULLED BYE "RETARDZONE" p1590, p1300, p103, p105, p107, p0733, p1884, p0102, p0300. 4 or 5 missfire but only on one side of the engine, tranny, rich/lean, rotor sensor? and cam sensor? i don't know guys. only work done so far is wires and 02 sensors before cat backs checked out to be fine! so im frustrated...

Savannah Buzz 01-30-2012 07:59 PM

The gears with X mentioned before is transfer case in neutral warning, can be a switch.

Seems like MAF. Consider this from the RAVE:

If the MAF sensor fails, the ECM implements a back up strategy which is based on throttle angle. Poor throttle
response and reduced performance will result.

The MAF sensor can fail the following ways or supply incorrect signal:

Sensor open circuit.

Short circuit to vehicle supply.

Short circuit to vehicle earth.

Contaminated sensor element.

Damaged sensor element.

Air leak after the MAF sensor.

Inlet air restriction.
Resistance in wiring harness causing signal offset.

So if you unplug the MAF sensor it may force truck to use plan B which is based on TPS (throttle angle). Will also help if you get the shop rag out of the air intake (workshop prank), and find any splits in the air duct hose caused by moving brittle rubber around to do other work.

If going for a replacement MAF be sure to match up part numbers for compatibility. And be glad you are not in a D1 (you can buy a D1 for what a MAF goes for). Salvage yard?

joking41 02-08-2012 11:36 AM

alright i replaced the maf sensor and boom fixed runs and has lots of power! its a present to my mother now. i have my 95 disco now.

DiscoRover007 02-08-2012 12:08 PM

Make sure you debrief your mother on the Discovery and make sure she watches the temp gauge like a hawk! Lube the drive shafts for her every few months!