Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head Gasket Comparison

Hi all,

Getting ready to do a head job on the '04 Disco. Was curious if anyone could tell me why there is an INSANE price difference between the head gasket and bolt kits at Atlantic British vs Lucky8 LLC?

Lucky 8 Head Gasket Set + Bolts: $85
https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...et-set-bolts-2

AB: Composite Head Gasket Set (With Head Bolt Set): $219.95
Head Gasket Set: Composite For Land Rover V8 BOSCH Engine

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew White
Hi all,

Getting ready to do a head job on the '04 Disco. Was curious if anyone could tell me why there is an INSANE price difference between the head gasket and bolt kits at Atlantic British vs Lucky8 LLC?

Lucky 8 Head Gasket Set + Bolts: $85
https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...et-set-bolts-2

AB: Composite Head Gasket Set (With Head Bolt Set): $219.95
Head Gasket Set: Composite For Land Rover V8 BOSCH Engine

Thanks in advance!
personally, I went with the lucky 8 one and it worked great and for me I use Atlantic British to find stuff then look at lucky8. I would recommend using arp studs though and if you call lucky8, they do carry them and they are reusable unlike the stretch bolts. I went ahead and got all new hoses from lucky8 while I did it too and had the injectors clean and flow matched. I also did a lot of other stuff that was needed but I was in that far so I said what the hell but to answer you question, I think Atlantic British uses elring gaskets where lucky8 uses brittpart.

The following users liked this post:
Matthew White (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
personally, I went with the lucky 8 one and it worked great and for me I use Atlantic British to find stuff then look at lucky8. I would recommend using arp studs though and if you call lucky8, they do carry them and they are reusable unlike the stretch bolts. I went ahead and got all new hoses from lucky8 while I did it too and had the injectors clean and flow matched. I also did a lot of other stuff that was needed but I was in that far so I said what the hell but to answer you question, I think Atlantic British uses elring gaskets where lucky8 uses brittpart.

Sounds good. I went ahead and emailed them and they said,

"there are 2 kits, one for the bosch engine which has more parts and the other for the earlier engine type.. perhaps his is for the early type.. double check what years his fits....its hard to tell from their picture if it has all the same parts as our kit…"

I agree it is hard to tell from the picture. What's your experience here LuckyJayB?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

The Lucky8 kit doesn't seem to include gaskets for some of the intake pieces, such as the throttle body heater or the joint between the throttle body and the intake plenum. I know that the AB kit includes a whole bunch of pieces that weren't needed for my '99 Disco because I don't have secondary air. The other major factor is probably the base price of the head gaskets themselves -- different brands can vary significantly in cost.
I would go with the Lucky8 kit and add the ARP stud kit as well (https://www.lucky8llc.com/products/arp-stud-kit). That puts you at almost the exact same price as the AB setup but with the much better studs instead of stretch bolts.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
The Lucky8 kit doesn't seem to include gaskets for some of the intake pieces, such as the throttle body heater or the joint between the throttle body and the intake plenum. I know that the AB kit includes a whole bunch of pieces that weren't needed for my '99 Disco because I don't have secondary air. The other major factor is probably the base price of the head gaskets themselves -- different brands can vary significantly in cost.
I would go with the Lucky8 kit and add the ARP stud kit as well (https://www.lucky8llc.com/products/arp-stud-kit). That puts you at almost the exact same price as the AB setup but with the much better studs instead of stretch bolts.
i second that. I've had great luck with my lucky8 kit and it's not my daily driver but I do try to put a few hundreds miles on her every week

Old 05-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Seems like a consensus! I have a few more questions into the AB fellas about which gaskets they're using so I can do a more honest price comparison. Barring that I think I'll do exactly what Luckyjayb and mollusc suggested!