Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A head gasket coolant leak.... yay!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default A head gasket coolant leak.... yay!

Not funny but trying to make light of it. Newly formed leak off the rear of the passenger side head gasket. (SEE PIC...LOOKS LIKE OIL RUN, BUT IS THE COOLANT PICKING UP OIL OF THE ENGINE) It is a small leak but comes at an inconvenient time as I was planning on driving from Vancouver to Denver next weekend.
1400 miles... is it something that can be put off until Denver. (where I will definitely get it fixed) Keep a very close eye on it and bring extra coolant?
I could get the parts ordered and have it torn down and ready to go back together by next weekend?... maybe?
Looking at the RAVE, it seems pretty fool proof. May also have to bite the bullet and have the work done at the local shop.
I know it is very dangerous to run the vehicle in this condition...especially a longer road trip, but I would like to hear it is ok to drive cautiously if it can't be completed before next week.
ARE ANY OTHER COOLANT LEAK IN A BOTTLE FIXES A POSSIBILITY? ARE THERE ANY GOOD ONES THAT WONT MESS UP THE RADIATOR?

Attached Thumbnails A head gasket coolant leak.... yay!-img_4479.jpg  
Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I used this in the wifes Volvo, works great.
It is the only stuff that I would use.

http://www.solv-tec.com/k-seal

Old 05-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

In addition to the Kseal, carry bottled water ( a case, which you can drink if you don't need it, or a few gallons of distilled water). Do you have a scanner you can leave plugged in so you can spot overheating before it gets out of hand? Being 30 miles to next water is no fun.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks guys...
In the back of my head I am thinking (probalbly like you are as well) that I must be nuts to think about driving it.... But the leak I would call minor at this point...if there is such a thing.
The KSeal promo on YouTube actually mentions Landrover world saying it was the real deal.
I will comtinue to research it.
In lay mans terms how does the KSeal work? Being that I am catching the leak while it is still small, should I like my chances with KSeal.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I like the kseal for small emergency uses. Like all other leak fixers, it's a band-aid. Eventually that gasket is going to split further and no amount of sealer will save you. May not be a bad idea to order the head gasket kit and have it with you on the drive. Just in case your stranded in some small town during that 1400 mile trip and hope they have a machine shop somewhere nearby.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Like all stopz leakz products a prime ingredient is sodium silicate, or "water glass". When it heats it tries to make a glassy material. Usually some inert ingredients are added to lug some of the holes, so you get ground walnut shells, copper dust, aluminum powder or flakes, even carbon nano particles. A small quantity clogs the leak. The rest goes into the bottom rows of the radiator, trying to clog it. The Kseal has the smallest quantity of material. The possibility of thermostat clog is also there. Here's a pix of a thermostat with Kseal on it.

Here is one way to approach it. Install the KSeal and run engine to heat it up and effect the seal. If you notice temps creeping up from plugged up stat, flush and install a new moto rad 439-180. That will also lower temps about 10 degrees. The remote stats have little metering holes in the top. If plugged, hot coolant has no way to reach stat and make it open.

Attached Thumbnails A head gasket coolant leak.... yay!-p1120243.jpg   A head gasket coolant leak.... yay!-p1120242.jpg   A head gasket coolant leak.... yay!-land%252520rover%252520thermostat%252520005.jpg   A head gasket coolant leak.... yay!-d2-stat-internal.jpg   A head gasket coolant leak.... yay!-d2-stat-internal-2.jpg  

Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Your kidding right?

Your kidding right? Dude, Just rent a car at enterprise fr $20.00 a day or $150.00 a week. You will either kill the truck..which may release you from this sick hobby..or worse...a $1,000.00 tow from the middle of nowhere..... just so you can feel like your somebody driving a LR..Nobody cares what you drive..and at over $4.25 a gallon for premium...You have to be nuts to drive that far unless you are in the mountains on a expedition with a full outfitted expedition truck and your sleeping in the tent on the roof.. I think you can fly first class on an airline for less... Save yourself some sanity....

Old 05-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Buy the K-Seal, drive it to Denver and then get it fixed.
It will be cheaper getting it fixed in the US over Canada.
And just a FYI, the unused K-Seal stays in suspension and just floats around your cooling system not harming a thing.
It does not collect at the bottom of the radiator.
It does not collect in the heater core, it does not clog radiators, if you used to much sure, but as long as you follow the directions you will be fine.
If it clogs something you were going to have problems anyway.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

spike is right on the Kseal... as for the "do I drive" that is your gamble to make. If you have no choice but to drive it then as noted in above posts, water, secondary temp gauge. and luck. If you do not HAVE to drive don't. You are asking a system that is currently failing to sit on the highway at speed for 1400 miles. if it were 300 sure... but really 1400. a running LR is a beautiful thing a boat anchor is not. If your gasket goes while your at 70MPH on a remote stretch in idaho you will have a boat anchor. my opinion. good luck.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Vandev....
Will be in Denver for 5 months...need the truck there.
Trust me, if I find the time to fix it before leaving I will spend the $1500 for the job and piece of mind.

Quick Reply: A head gasket coolant leak.... yay!