Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A head gasket coolant leak.... yay!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Yep, and I agree with your point that system should be in good shape and then you don't have to worry. Too many new owners look at the gauge as same as Dad's old Ford, and it isn't. Now that I flushed and rodded out my rad, removed mud and leaves between it and condenser, put on a new fan clutch, new water pump, different fan, and re-wired AC electric fans so they blow in the correct direction (thanks PO), and a 180 F stat, I see 180 - 183 at 55 mph, maybe 185 at 70, can top 190 while at extended idle. In 90F local temps. Last summer I was hitting 227 easily.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I second Mike's recommendation of the BG leak stop. This winter, I developed a slight coolant leak at the rear of the right side of the engine. Head gasket or intake manifold, I couldn't tell. It was freaking cold outside, and my wife was away at her mother's house and would be for several months (mother has cancer) so I had no second car to drive during a repair.

The shop where I used to work used BG products. We used their 3 part cooling kit: flush, leak stop, and super cool. Their leak stop remains in suspension except when it comes into contact with a leak. EVERY vehicle that had a coolant exchange got the leak stop added, whether it had a current leak or not, and we NEVER saw anything clogged because of their product.

I figured that BG would not have a product they recommended with every flush that would cause some kind of damage.

I contacted the local BG rep and bought a bottle, drained some coolant from the reservoir, and poured it in. Since then I have put on close to 2,000 miles, and there has been no coolant loss since adding the BG leak stop.

Yes, I do plan to correctly fix the problem eventually. I am currently waiting for my wife to hopefully return, so I can have a second vehicle while the repairs are being made.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

On my coolant leaks, the BG did the job for now. I made it to Denver and sorry to say I wasted money on extra coolant. Did not see evn a drop missing...and the bottom and sides of the engine are clean.
Plans are to get into the head gasket job this summer some time. Not doing a lot of driving so, I will keep an eye on it...and when she goes again....do it right
Mike, staying in lone tree. If you ever get the urge to want to come and turn seem wrenches let me know...lol of course.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

congrats on the trip being made safely.. I must say that was a bold move...glad it worked out for you and thanks for the update... enjoy.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

That was a little ballsy and not the most comfortable drive when you are looking at gauges and listening for any different sounds... But made it. The leaks were small enough and timing so bad, that I risked it.
The time to fix it properly is soon coming.
Will be calling Altlantic British and ordering the head gasket kit some day soon.
Have a garage to do the work if I so decide to attack it myself.