Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket Job Fail

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Head gasket Job Fail

Don't think my head gasket job worked? It starts and runs good and is not throwing any codes after running for about 20 minutes but, it is smoking white from the tail pipe. I was hoping it was just coolant still in the pipe from the blown head gasket but after 20 minutes it is still smoking. I went by the book. 15lbs + 90 + 90 and cleaned everything perfect. Heads were skimmed and rebuilt completely. My temp stays at 185 if I keep it revved to 1500 rpm (180 gray thermostat), but if I let off of it to idle the temps start to climb. I bleed and bleed with bottle hanging high above engine, first through bleed screw and then running with the bottle top off and raised, no air and no sounds under the dash. There's not any air in it. I am thinking my fan clutch is not working right since I have to keep it reved to keep temps down. The fan has resistance while hot when turned by hand and engine is hot, will only spin a few blades before stopping. What get's me is no codes. zero codes and zero pending on ultragauge. What do you guys think? about the white smoke and rising temps?

Old 06-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

How high does the temp climb? Mine usually runs at 194 with a 180 deg tstat.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Could be a crack in the block.

Are the coolant hoses rock hard/over pressurized?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Weird thing! I went back out and started it and temp started climbing to 205 and I jumped out and checked the fan and could stop it by hand. I turned it off and let it sit a few hours, started it again and temps stayed right. Fan may have been messed up from laying down for a couple months. I went ahead and ordered another used one anyway, just in case it does it again. Now for the white smoke. After the temps straightened out it idles with air on at 194. 188 to 190 while driving. I took it out and floored it for a few miles and a few miles again and came home and no smoke. I let it sit and then went out and ran the crap out of it again and still no smoke and no high temps. Maybe it was just a gallon or so of coolant still in my pipes, muffler and cats? I guess the next few days will tell. It's not loosing any coolant and staying right on the line and I opened the bleeder and no air. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

White smoke out the back - head gasket problem.
You changed them and...
You are getting coolant into a cylinder.
You should be getting misfire codes eventually.

You'll also ruin your cats.
As the antifreeze will ruin the cat converters.
I would not drive it.

Or realize you will soon need new cats.

Put in two bottles of Barr's leaks to try to slow down the leak so you are not using antifreeze.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jfall
White smoke out the back - head gasket problem.
You changed them and...
You are getting coolant into a cylinder.
You should be getting misfire codes eventually.

You'll also ruin your cats.
As the antifreeze will ruin the cat converters.
I would not drive it.

Or realize you will soon need new cats.

Put in two bottles of Barr's leaks to try to slow down the leak so you are not using antifreeze.
Read last post above! It quit with the white smoke and quit with the high temps. Must have been coolant in my pipes burning off? My fan clutch wasn't working right,I guess from laying for a few months. I could stop it by hand while idling, but now that has straightened out. I still ordered another one.I just drove 20 miles and back home and no smoke and temps are 194 at idle and 188 to 190 driving. Knock on wood!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Lets hope its what you think! That would be great.

I bought a D1 and the owner had just had the head gaskets done. After that it was blowing white smoke, turned out to be a crack in the block behind the sleeve.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by abran
Lets hope its what you think! That would be great.

I bought a D1 and the owner had just had the head gaskets done. After that it was blowing white smoke, turned out to be a crack in the block behind the sleeve.
That's the first thing that came to mind with the white smoke. Cracked block. I made block off plates and pressure tested my block to 60 psi,when I had it down but, I know that does not always tell the truth since it is a cold test. I am hoping for the best. No missfire codes yet and no coolant loss yet. Idling smooth and staying cool. Only about 50 miles so far. It has completely quit with the white smoke, but I know it's early. When I first started it this morning it was smoking like a seafoam treatment and started smoking as soon as it warmed up each time.Then after a few short wide open road trips it stopped smoking. I'm hoping it was smoking after warm up since the pipes would then get hot enough to turn the liquid in the cats, muffler and pipes to steam. I sure hope so cause this was alot of work for me and I need my truck back on the road.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:21 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not white smoke, it's steam.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it should only take one good trip 20-30 minute to completely boil out the exhaust, if your still get white smoke on start up after that then you may still have a problem.

Quick Reply: Head gasket Job Fail