Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket job Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:58 AM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
I still can't belive no one makes bolt-on shorty headers for a D2. And I know, just because I can't find them doesn't mean no one does.
I've seen links posted here this year for aluminum coolant and washer fluid tanks too...but can't find them anywhere searching on my own.
I'm sure enlarging the exhaust manifold ports to the same size or slightly larger than the head port is beneficial as well. I just really don't want to spend the time.
I've had good luck with carbide bits in my Dremel, and my engine is coming back out when I find time(just bell housing bolts and lift it out). So, maybe I'll try it.
Carbide bits may work great with the dremel, I can only say that the sandpaper at 1/4” size is far more substantial than he dremel sandpaper. If your were fine with just the carbide bits you’d be ok prolly. Ypu’re Going to move a lot of metal off the manifolds. Much more than the head ports which honestly didn’t even require a bit.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:49 PM
TReK

Got the fluids in, and pressure tested the cooling system. It held 20+ for two 20 minute periods, and everything is dry as a bone so far.

Used Castrol Conventional 10w-40 with a ZDDP additive. Peak again.

Got her warmed up and she is currently cooling down so I can top her off.

Took a cruise around the block, and she is running great. I have gotten no codes, and at this point after last hg's I was getting some misfires. I am guessing that was the dried up valve seals.

Only weird thing was when I started it up the condenser got very hot, and the auxilliary fan came on, even though the heat was on full blast. It eventually turned off. I am wondering if something is going on with my A/C COntrol unit.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on completing the job. If I get mine running, I can tackle the rest of the problems.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Took a cruise around the block, and she is running great. I have gotten no codes, and at this point after last hg's I was getting some misfires. I am guessing that was the dried up valve seals.
Now you're getting to the good part!

So to summarize, you did new valve seals, lapped the valves, machined the heads, ported the exhaust at the heads and manifolds, installed Cometic metal head gaskets with ARP studs, and have the new Crower cam in your rebuilt motor, right?

Reset the fuel parameters and try her out!

You should have some top notch Rover power now.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:44 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by No Doubt
Now you're getting to the good part!

So to summarize, you did new valve seals, lapped the valves, machined the heads, ported the exhaust at the heads and manifolds, installed Cometic metal head gaskets with ARP studs, and have the new Crower cam in your rebuilt motor, right?

Reset the fuel parameters and try her out!

You should have some top notch Rover power now.
The valves were not lapped, the cams are Kent Sportstorque H180's, but she is ported, from intake to exhaust manifold and she seems to like it.

I have been beating around the bush buying a really good tool so I can reset the fuel parameters, so I can't and will have to let the ECU sort it out.

I posted a pic of the Exhaust manifolds for you to take a look at. That is in my porting and polishing thread.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:01 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by duscarter
Congratulations on completing the job. If I get mine running, I can tackle the rest of the problems.
Just post if you have any questions, I mean, not sure I could help but someone will.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:11 PM
TReK

Yes, my neighbor was a diesel mechanic at some point in his life. I wouldn't have gotten the last of the head bolts out without him.
Damn ypu’re Lucky. My neighbors just stop by and look at me like I am nuts.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Status?!

Old 09-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bad were the valve seals to do? I didn’t plan on it, but it looks like you recommended it.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

How bad were the valve seals to do? I didn’t plan on it, but it looks like you recommended it.
Just time consuming. You have to get a spring compressor tool to get the top clip off of each valve spring, then the spring lifts off.
You pry off the old valve seal and then tap on the new one and reassemble valve+spring+clip using the compressor tool again.

Old valve seals can be a major source of any lost oil problems, exhaust smoke probs, etc.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e6/#post638042

Attached Thumbnails Head gasket job Questions-valveseal.jpg   Head gasket job Questions-valvespringcompressor.jpg  

Last edited by No Doubt; 09-03-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Head gasket job Questions