Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Head Gasket Question (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/head-gasket-question-46862/)

01d2Jeff 01-23-2012 08:56 AM

Head Gasket Question

I'm leaking coolant out of the back side of the p/s head looks to be precisely between the head and the block. No smoke, but it leaks pretty good. I have to fill the reservoir up once every other day, and I only drive about 20 miles round trip. It's a constant drip while the engine is running and at operating temperature.

I'm assuming it's the head gasket, but I've never seen one blow out where it doesn't leak into the oil or the cylinder. I'm assuming that this is possible, though? are there any other possible solutions?

ratijs100 01-23-2012 08:59 AM

I had the same problem with my car and i did whole head gasket job. It was really leaking from head gasket and also if it is closer to the driver's side, it might be water pump seal. In my case those two were constantly leaking and all the time there were drops under the car and I had to add at least half of the bottle every 3-4 days.

Disco Mike 01-23-2012 09:16 AM

There are many ways a head gasket can fail,
coolant leak to outside of the engine
coolant leak into the crank case
oil leak to the outside of the engine
exhaust leak to the outside of the engine
exhaust leak into the coolant system
Plus any other combination, in other word you don't need to have coolant to have a failed head gasket.

01d2Jeff 01-23-2012 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 294746)
There are many ways a head gasket can fail,
coolant leak to outside of the engine
coolant leak into the crank case
oil leak to the outside of the engine
exhaust leak to the outside of the engine
exhaust leak into the coolant system
Plus any other combination, in other word you don't need to have coolant to have a failed head gasket.

Thanks, Mike.

Looks like I'm replacing a head gasket! :(

Good thing I parked it last week then. It's amazing....68k on the clock and a blown head gasket....gotta love discos!

Disco Mike 01-23-2012 09:30 AM

That is about the normal time for them to first fail, along with plug wires and the front drive shaft.

ebg18t 01-23-2012 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 294754)
That is about the normal time for them to first fail, along with plug wires and the front drive shaft.

It seems that between 70-90k miles everything except the seats needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

Savannah Buzz 01-23-2012 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a pix of the back of head leak

G Reeves 01-23-2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 294754)

My cylinder HG went at 55K