Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated seats...GREAT SUCESS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated seats...GREAT SUCESS!!!

So I have been reading that my 2004 HSE might have heated seats and all the wiring just not the switches and that a simple switch install would give me heated seats. WELL BOY WERE YOU RIGHT!!!

Saw on AB that they sold a kit for almost $200 to do this very thing and decided had to be cheaper to just get used parts. Jumped on ebay and found a complete unit for $40. So worth it. Did the install today and worked like a charm.

Had a couple snags. First the trim piece that comes with my HSE is a solid piece from shifters to windows switches. I guess because of this it doesn't screw in but instead fits via pressure. So....the bracket that comes with most discos screws into metal tabs on the center console. I need to purchase these metal brackets and screws and the cover to make it look nice. See photos below. I'm thinking I can get the screws and metal fittings at home depot. Any tips or advice for this?

Name:  2013-03-20160422_zpsb7a38bad.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  104.8 KB
Finished product so far

Missing metal bracket that slips on the plastic tab to allow screws.

Name:  2013-03-20161017_zps4df2cfcb.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  75.8 KB

Old wood center piece. Should i sell it?

See metal tab at top of this trim for press fitting in. NO screws.

Well that's my 2 cents. I'll post a picture when i get the trim installed.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

"Old wood center piece. Should I sell it?" I know, were it me, I would use that needs-to-be-modified-wood-trim-piece as the perfect excuse to buy a new tool, like a Dremel with every accessory made. That way, you could custom fit and re-use the wood trim.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Everyone should own a dremel, they're so useful.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
So true. I bought an air powered rotary tool for $20 that takes all the dremel accessories. It's great, plus it makes that same awesome noise that dental tools do. Very soothing.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Mudding

I bought the $100 kit 4 years ago and have used it thrice! But this would be a good use for it.

Before you cut, put masking tape the face and back of the wood trim, make a template from some heavy paper and tape that on top of the tape, then score the template with a heavy blade. Do this before using the dremel, and cut a smaller opening than you need.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
So true. I bought an air powered rotary tool for $20 that takes all the dremel accessories. It's great, plus it makes that same awesome noise that dental tools do. Very soothing.
Does it let you adjust RPMs like the Dremel does? That was a huge plus for me when I was making the decision. One thing I do crave for is the air powered micro sawzall thing, almost no sparks but cuts all the same. Great for tight corners and interior stuff.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling

I dunno. I'm thinking of not cutting it. I like the look of the rubber mat and the black plastic cover. The wood is nice but not very utilitarian. Once i get the black cover for the buttons i will probably sell the wood piece. What do you think its worth?

Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Pro Wrench

Does it let you adjust RPMs like the Dremel does? That was a huge plus for me when I was making the decision. One thing I do crave for is the air powered micro sawzall thing, almost no sparks but cuts all the same. Great for tight corners and interior stuff.
Yup, from a barely annoying whine to a full on scream. They had a pile of them at HD for $40, and I waited until they dropped the price to $20 and grabbed one. Very Asian but it works pretty well just the same. I have one of those air saws as well, but it isn't as cool as I want it to be. The blades heat up and bend before I know what happened. If I could find a good source for better blades I might like it more. One of my favorite air tools is an impact screw driver. With an adapter it makes a great 1/4" impact gun as well. Pretty unnecessary but neat just the same.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Somehow this became the dremel forum. I do have a Dremel but prefer the non wood look. So maybe someone else can have it and try for themselves.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Pro Wrench

Nope, just the Dremel thread. Hope you're able to find hardware to finish up the project. I'm surprised that an HSE didn't come with the switches in place already. I didn't think there were any options left off of those.

Quick Reply: Heated seats...GREAT SUCESS!!!