Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   HEATED WINDSHIELD ?? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/heated-windshield-17428/)

73S3IP 11-24-2008 12:46 PM

HEATED WINDSHIELD ??

I my windshield replaced a couple years back for a nice crack thanks to a rock from a minivan. When the glass place put the new one in, they showed me where the electrical connections under the A pillars in the engine compartment for the windshield heater were covered with tape and had not been hooked up ('02 DII SE) previously. They asked if I wanted them to plug the new ones in and I said "no." I figure they were unhooked for a reason. With winter here, I would likemy heated windshield. Has anyone had or heard of any problems with the heated windscreen that might cause someone to unhook it? Could the internal heat cause it to crack in very cold conditions if there were a small fracture in it already somewhere? Any thoughts?

hazletbassist89 11-24-2008 01:56 PM

RE: HEATED WINDSHIELD ??

I would think it could only crack from flash heating. IE it's below 0 and you touch a soldering iron or something on the glass.

Disco Mike 11-24-2008 02:01 PM

If you were to add the necessary parts to activate your front windshield heater, it would work well as long as you don't have any rock starts or small cracks.

73S3IP 11-24-2008 02:26 PM

I assume this rig came with the windshield heater and all necessary hardware to make it work from the factory. (In fact the only thing I know of that it didn't come with was ACE.) The wires/connectors to plug the windshield pigtails into under the hood are there; they just weren't hooked up when I got it. The dashboard also has both defroster buttons - the one for the windshield and the one for the back glass. WhenI turn on defroster on the HVAC controls with the defroster button, the little red light on both of the defroster buttons to the left automatically light up. However, I do have a small star crack (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch diameter) on the surface from yet another rock. So, you believe hooking my windshield heater back up could cause the existing small crack to grow?

Spike555 11-24-2008 03:37 PM

The only thing that will make the new crack grow is time.
Hook it up and enjoy it.

Disco Mike 11-24-2008 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: 73S3IP

I assume this rig came with the windshield heater and all necessary hardware to make it work from the factory. (In fact the only thing I know of that it didn't come with was ACE.) The wires/connectors to plug the windshield pigtails into under the hood are there; they just weren't hooked up when I got it. The dashboard also has both defroster buttons - the one for the windshield and the one for the back glass. When I turn on defroster on the HVAC controls with the defroster button, the little red light on both of the defroster buttons to the left automatically light up. However, I do have a small star crack (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch diameter) on the surface from yet another rock. So, you believe hooking my windshield heater back up could cause the existing small crack to grow?
Some one else recently tried to just hook up their new windshiled, the heater didn't work. I believe you will need to get a relay for sure.

73S3IP 11-24-2008 05:03 PM

thanks for the help. can you tell meany more information about this relayor where it would be located within the system on the truck. i definitely want to get this if i am lacking it.