Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Heavy misfiring all of a sudden (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/heavy-misfiring-all-sudden-76687/)

toofaroffroad 12-02-2015 12:44 AM

Yes I did, I moved a few things out of the way but it worked. I was actually surprised at how quick the process was. I think I spent the most time just checking and marking plug wires to make sure everything was in the right place.

I had found a tutorial on here somewhere which helped. I'm sure if you start searching you'll find it.

chubbs878 12-02-2015 08:27 AM

that's crazy. I needed to replace an ignition wire and started fiddling around back there and thought, damn I'm going to have to pull this intake off and set myself back all kinds of time. but I called my brother up and he got it done as-is. I could hardly believe it. It was the number 4 wire on the passenger side which hooks into the bottom of the coil on the driver's side and he did have a hell of a time with it. But definitely do-able. Whoever hooked up the wire set before I bought it half-assed the installation because the coil bracket wasn't attached properly so they obviously got in there without pulling the intake as well. I'm thinking about getting the plenum gasket and unbuttoning it all so I can get it back together properly. I'm not good with tight spaces. I would drop the screw 3 or 4 times and say F-it!

Charlie_V 12-02-2015 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by chubbs878 (Post 545165)
that's crazy. I needed to replace an ignition wire and started fiddling around back there and thought, damn I'm going to have to pull this intake off and set myself back all kinds of time. but I called my brother up and he got it done as-is. I could hardly believe it. It was the number 4 wire on the passenger side which hooks into the bottom of the coil on the driver's side and he did have a hell of a time with it. But definitely do-able. Whoever hooked up the wire set before I bought it half-assed the installation because the coil bracket wasn't attached properly so they obviously got in there without pulling the intake as well. I'm thinking about getting the plenum gasket and unbuttoning it all so I can get it back together properly. I'm not good with tight spaces. I would drop the screw 3 or 4 times and say F-it!

The really sweet part is trying to get the keepers back on the connectors at both sides of the coils if the coils have been out. Hahaha my connectors have been held in by friction for years. I'll find the keepers when I swap the transmission, I suppose.

chubbs878 12-02-2015 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie_V (Post 545175)
The really sweet part is trying to get the keepers back on the connectors at both sides of the coils if the coils have been out. Hahaha my connectors have been held in by friction for years. I'll find the keepers when I swap the transmission, I suppose.

Charles you never stop amazing me. I wish we lived closer so i could have a wrenching buddy. You do nothing but work on your Land Rovers..always juggling serious projects. You could do wires and coil packs in your sleep and not even drop a screw down the firewall. I must fix something new on my junk DAILY too. One of my blinkers started flashing funny on my way to work so I replaced the bulbs and hopefully water-proofed the one that keeps getting water inside. A fix-a-day keeps the over-haul away. Psshhh ya right, dang LR. I could go on forever about these things.

Charlie_V 12-03-2015 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by chubbs878 (Post 545259)
Charles you never stop amazing me. I wish we lived closer so i could have a wrenching buddy. You do nothing but work on your Land Rovers..always juggling serious projects. You could do wires and coil packs in your sleep and not even drop a screw down the firewall. I must fix something new on my junk DAILY too. One of my blinkers started flashing funny on my way to work so I replaced the bulbs and hopefully water-proofed the one that keeps getting water inside. A fix-a-day keeps the over-haul away. Psshhh ya right, dang LR. I could go on forever about these things.

I do mess with that rover at least once a week. Hahaha. This week I've vowed to fix one thing a day! Last night was the front seal. After fixing that I found out that my oil pressure sender/switch/sensor is leaking. Ugh. Driver door lock is tonight. Then, then, then... Never ending. Keeps me out of trouble.

chubbs878 12-03-2015 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by charlie_v (Post 545289)
keeps me out of trouble.

exactly.

mln01 12-03-2015 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie_V (Post 545175)
The really sweet part is trying to get the keepers back on the connectors at both sides of the coils, if the coils have been out. Hahaha my connectors have been held in by friction for years. I'll find the keepers when I swap the transmission, I suppose.

If by "keepers" you mean the wire thingys that lock the connectors to the coils I realized after I removed mine all those years ago that they don't need to be removed at all -- you simply push on them and the prongs at the two ends of each keeper are levered out to release the connector. I say simply --- Hah! Nothing back there is simple.

As I've said before on this forum, I too removed wires and both coils without removing the upper intake. More amazing is that I got the coils back into position with every bolt and connector back in place correctly. Six years later I still consider that a proud achievement.

As I've also said before it helps to have girlie-man hands like I do. And to have a non-SAI truck.

Charlie_V 12-04-2015 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by mln01 (Post 545313)
If by "keepers" you mean the wire thingys that lock the connectors to the coils I realized after I removed mine all those years ago that they don't need to be removed at all -- you simply push on them and the prongs at the two ends of each keeper are levered out to release the connector. I say simply --- Hah! Nothing back there is simple.

As I've said before on this forum, I too removed wires and both coils without removing the upper intake. More amazing is that I got the coils back into position with every bolt and connector back in place correctly. Six years later I still consider that a proud achievement.

As I've also said before it helps to have girlie-man hands like I do. And to have a non-SAI truck.

That's what I meant by keepers but I really call them losers because I've lost almost all of mine. I didn't know you could push the connectors back on with them in place. Ugh.

buick215 12-06-2015 04:18 PM

Update. I replaced all of the spark plugs with Bosch Platinum 4's and the misfire on cylinder 3 was still present. I replaced the plug wire that goes to cylinder 3 and the problem went away. Now when I have time I will be replacing the other plug wires along with a list of other things.

Charlie_V 12-07-2015 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by buick215 (Post 545612)
Update. I replaced all of the spark plugs with Bosch Platinum 4's and the misfire on cylinder 3 was still present. I replaced the plug wire that goes to cylinder 3 and the problem went away. Now when I have time I will be replacing the other plug wires along with a list of other things.

Congratulations on solving it!