Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get my sound back NEW AFTERMARKET STEREO

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 09:11 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get my sound back NEW AFTERMARKET STEREO

Hello All! So, I added an aftermarket stereo to my recently acquired DII. I did not purchase a wiring harness. I wired the power, constant, ground and all speakers to the new unit.
I do have an oem Amp, therefore I have no sound currently coming thru the speakers. The head unit I installed has 2 rca preamp outputs only.
I see there are wiring harnesses for the app which have 2 sets of rca cables but I only have 1 set on the radio

So I bypass the amp, or only need to hook up 1set of rca??

hellllpppp Please!

Old 02-23-2019, 10:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

So this is the adapter you did not buy? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701...g-Harness.html

and it sounds like you wired the high level(not pre amp) speaker outputs of the new headunit to the pre-amp speaker lines that go to the factory amplifier? *snippet from Metra adapter manual*

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (02-25-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 11:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

You probably just need to wire the Amp to turn on (1 wire).

Old 02-25-2019, 02:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Wait....

you wired the speakers to the head unit?

how?

if you wired your speakers to the two rca outs, those are low wattage and you will never get enough power from them to power a speaker, they run to an amp which provides the wattage so you can hear the sound.

what model is your radio?

Old 02-25-2019, 06:17 AM
5th Gear

I wired the radio to the factory wires, without using a harness. I hooked up acc power, constant power, ground and all 4 speakers
(were previously hooked up to the stock radio).
I hooked up the amp power.
Radio turns on, but no sound
I then tried to splice the rca cables into those speaker wires but that didn't do anything for sound either
The attached diagram above shows the rca cables going into green white purple and gray, which are the speakers
Stock Radio worked before, so the so is functioning.
My radio only has one set of rca outputs (L&R) t

Old 02-25-2019, 07:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by PbdyJr
I wired the radio to the factory wires, without using a harness. I hooked up acc power, constant power, ground and all 4 speakers
(were previously hooked up to the stock radio).
I hooked up the amp power.
Radio turns on, but no sound
I then tried to splice the rca cables into those speaker wires but that didn't do anything for sound either
The attached diagram above shows the rca cables going into green white purple and gray, which are the speakers
Stock Radio worked before, so the so is functioning.
My radio only has one set of rca outputs (L&R) t
Have you looked at the Rave for the wiring diagrams?

Do you have a stock amplifier under the driver seat? If it does the wires you connected to the high output speakers on the new headunit goes to the amplifier.

Did you hook up the blue/white (Slate/Green factory wire)?.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 AM
5th Gear

Yes. I have the stock amp. Yes i hooked the blue amp remote wire to the SG wire to power it up. I hooked the stereo high output rca cables to the speaker wires that were originally in the stock radio. I figured that was all that should be done .. Yet, no sound.
So i was wondering if the rca cables were to the wrong place or if there was something missing. Doesbt appear so.
I downloaded and looked at the rave but it doesnt show wiring for the Amp.. I was able to find diagrams for it but it doesnt tell me what wires are in the connectors so that didnt help much.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:32 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

the d2 electrical library includes detailed descriptions of exactly which wires go to which speakers and amplifier connections, although it doesn't have a picture of the connector pin-outs for the rear of the radio head unit.
a quick google search showed me this, which does include it: https://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-ra...-Connector.htm
between those two sources of detailed info, you should be able to work out what the issue is. of course, what you connect where will also depend on whether your new head unit is outputting at speaker level (i.e. it has a built-in amp) or if it needs to go to an amplifier.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by PbdyJr
Yes. I have the stock amp. Yes i hooked the blue amp remote wire to the SG wire to power it up. I hooked the stereo high output rca cables to the speaker wires that were originally in the stock radio. I figured that was all that should be done .. Yet, no sound.
So i was wondering if the rca cables were to the wrong place or if there was something missing. Doesbt appear so.
I downloaded and looked at the rave but it doesnt show wiring for the Amp.. I was able to find diagrams for it but it doesnt tell me what wires are in the connectors so that didnt help much.
​​​​​​​Electrical Circuit Diagrams(cdlt010x.pdf) page 50.3, 50.4, 50.5 shows the diagrams for High Line Harmon Kardon, connector designation, pin-location, wire color and size, and other junctions in the same format (factory amp wire - connector C0922 pin 9, Slate/Green, 0.5mm2)

Electrical Library (ellt033e.pdf) shows the connectors with pinouts and location if you can't place the factory amp S/G wire on connector C0922 pin 9

Last edited by Sandman614; 02-25-2019 at 08:43 AM.