Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help my Discovery is stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 02:27 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my Discovery is stalling

Hello,

I'm new to these forums. And I found them as I am trying to find out what is wrong with my Disco.

I have a 98 Discovery 5speed manual. And it occasionaly would stall as I would come up to a rolling stop while on neutral. As it would start again immediately and would not repeat this problem for some while I hadn't been to worried about it.

The other day it stalled on me again but this time it refused to start. The starter was cranking perfectly, so I don't think it was an electrical problem. About an hour later is started just fine and it has kept on starting just fine. I'm going to change the spark plugs just as a precaution but I'm worried that it might not be the cause. I'm wondering if might be the fuel pump.

Has anyone experience this problem before and better still managed to resolve it.

Thanks

Old 06-16-2005, 12:41 PM
7th Gear
Default RE: Help my Discovery is stalling

check fuel pump/rail pressure. maybe clogged filter or clogged line. it definitly sounds like a fuel related problem

Old 06-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turn key on and listen to see if there is sound coming frome the gas tank. if there is then fuel pump could be ok, you may have to check this when it stalls again. If it is fuel pump get back with me, i have a tip to save you a couple hundred bucks.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:55 PM
4wd Low

Thanks Mike,

If got the local garage changing the plugs and checking around. I'm almost positive they won't find anything but I will tell them to clean out the fuel filter anyway.

As to what you said about the fuel pump, I do remember thinking that as I was cranking pretty hard, I was not getting that distinct fuel smell I would have been expecting. Which brings up another point: Lucas Electronics [:@]. So it may turn out to be something like that.

What is it about the Fuel Pump as I probably will want to do it anyway.

Thanks

Mike

Old 06-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If got the local garage changing the plugs and checking around. I'm almost positive they won't find anything but I will tell them to clean out the fuel filter anyway.
they will need to put in a new one, not clean it out.

As to what you said about the fuel pump, I do remember thinking that as I was cranking pretty hard, I was not getting that distinct fuel smell I would have been expecting. Which brings up another point: Lucas Electronics . So it may turn out to be something like that.
shouldent even have a fuel smell, maybe a leak if you did and that could be your prob.
also fuel pump on yours would not be lucas elec., but AC Delco.
What is it about the Fuel Pump as I probably will want to do it anyway.
I have a part # to get it from autozone to where you replace just the pump and not the whole assembly. $80 part vs. $300 part.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:21 PM
4wd Low

OK have them replace the filter.

By Lucas Elec. I meant the electrics conecting the pump.

The part number wont work as I'm not in US. Noted though, get pump and not complete assembly.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

glad i could help a bit
By Lucas Elec. I meant the electrics conecting the pump.
but it is prolly the pump thats bad vs. wiring to the pump, although it still could be.
The part number wont work as I'm not in US. Noted though, get pump and not complete assembly.
you might be able to cross refrance it.

Old 06-25-2005, 04:34 PM
4wd Low

Happy to say that after replacing the plugs and the fuel filter and the air filter the problem disapeared.