Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help someone...Three amigos

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:04 AM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help someone...Three amigos

I am certain that i saw and bookmarked a page on this forum that someone had posted regarding reseting/reading the ABS codes using the old style blink method - or a variation of it. Unfortunately i did not book mark it and after searching throught the first 100 pages on this forum i am starting to wonder if i imagined it. If anyone can shed any light on this and maybe even point me to the original post i would be very grateful. I cant believe i imagined at as the person that posted it basically put up the whole proceedure on the post. Time is pressing as the 3 amigoes have just shown up and we are selling the discovery hopefully tomorrow!! I have told the prospective buyer thati will cure the fault before he buys it. Its a shame that of the 4 discovery II's we have the only one that we are selling has started to act up..
Did i just imagine i saw a method for testing without a diagnosis tool or did someone else read it?
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Nick Holledge.

If only Disco II's were as easy to maintain as my series 3 Lightweight!!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Help someone...

You saw it, but I am pretty sure it only works for pre-96 models. I will see if I can find it too...

Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Only for D1's.
If you get on your brakes pretty hard, do you still feel the ABS pulsation in the brake pedal?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 AM
6th Gear

Thanks for the quick response...i was sure i had not imagined it.Sucks to be right though when it probably does not apply to my vehicle :-(
ABS works fine..i keep reading about people needing a new overlay harness.Where does it attach too and from and how much of the harness is it? I have another discovery iam using forspares. I am thinking about removing the complete engine area abs harness and replacing it as the faulty vehicle now says no connection with CO500,CO501 and CO506 (This came about after i replaced the shuttle valve) even though i cleaned dried and inspected the connections... the original codes indicateda fault with front wheel sensor which i took out and cleaned and abs shuttle valve which i have replaced... Being a Rally school instructor where abs is of no use and would actually be dangerous i am getting more and more frustrated with the whole abs thing...

Thanks for your help...

Old 03-04-2008, 07:04 PM
6th Gear

Ok a further update..
I know what an overlay harness is now - read up on it..
I took vehicleback to the shop and got the codes read again... Front wheel sensor now no longer the issue, now it says rear passenger wheel sensor.. WTF.. i never touched the rear wheels...Anyway before this visit i pulled all the plugs off the ABS unit and cleaned them (Again!!)- scraping each terminal with tiny piece of rubbing paper. This cured the connection problemswhich had been bringing up all the CO Codes. But the ABS shuttle valve fault was still showing along with the wheel sensor mentioned above....
So i return home and remove the abs unit completely - again!! and put it on the bench where i decide to pull it apart. I take the new shuttle valve switch plate out and check with ohm meter - it measured exactly the same as the old unit??? the switches weren't the problem after all.So i took the the shuttle valves themselves out andthere could be the problem. Inside each valve there are 3 little filters. Each of the filters - 6 in total looked brownish with some sludge looking deposits in them. ICleaned all the filters with brake cleaner and cleaned the spool valves and made sure they operated in and out as they should as one was very stiff to operate. I re-assembled the whole thing put it back together andbled the system. Also replaced the rear wheel sensor with a spare i had.
Well I just got back from the shop after successfully having the lights put out. And they have not come back - yet!!!!
The point i am making from this experience is that dont justwrite the shuttle valve switch assembly off as the culprit. In my case it turned out to be the valves themselves.
But my clouds are not all silver lined. I took my other discovery out on a road test having just repaired the throttle body heater gasket and half way around my little test route the suspension started to get very bouncy... Soi pulled over and my suspicions were correct - deflated airbag..Limped her home and spent another half hour grovelling around replacing the airbag.. Cured that, the gasket and the three amigoes allin one day.

Land Rovers - dont you just love them.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok had my DII Rover for about a month now and the 3 amigos just lit up the dash? I turned off the truck when I got home and they aren’t showing up anymore

Reading the forums the last month they will surely come back on what is my next step? A dealer, independent mechanic? What am I looking at cost wise?

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:49 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have squeaky and dusty brake pads?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

your next step is to get the ABS codes read or by an ABS amigo yourself and read the codes. the diagnostic from the dealer is $120 to read it and $120 to clear it after the work is done. Some indie shops will do it for free, the ABS amigo costs $200.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. No squeaky brake pads. This happened this morning on my way back home from the gym I hit a speed bump and that’s when the amigos showed up. When I went to work this morning they were gone and haven’t come back on since, hmmm? This couldn’t be as simple as brake fluid being low or something like that correct. It would have to be something electrical in nature?