Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   hi-lift mount spare tire (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/hi-lift-mount-spare-tire-56711/)

toofaroffroad 02-13-2013 02:27 PM

hi-lift mount spare tire

Is anyone running a hi-lift jack monted to their oversized spare on the stock read door set up? i'm looking into mounting my hi-lift on my rear spare (285/75/16) but I'm a little worried that the door will not take that weight on the trail, buncing around etc.

i'm looking for feedback from people that are doing this or that have tried it, not so much the people that haven't done it and think it's a bad idea.

Thanks for feedback. Love my D2

wreckdiver1321 02-13-2013 02:34 PM

I haven't tried it, but I've heard people say the door won't take the weight. But I don't know. At the same time I've seen plenty of pictures of people's Hi-Lifts being mounted back there.

So I'd be interested to see whether it works.

toofaroffroad 02-13-2013 02:43 PM

Yes it's a tuff call. That damn door is hard enough to open and close with the big spare, let alone the tall and heavy hi-lift.

wreckdiver1321 02-13-2013 02:43 PM

That was sort of my line of thought. Hence the roof rack mount for mine :D

binvanna 02-13-2013 04:47 PM

I mounted a 33 on an allow wheel and the door works ok but I can see the hinges failing over time as it gets bounced up and down on the bumps. I would definitely not add a Hi Lift on there without a bumper-mount carrier. It will work sitting still and on smooth roads but overtime it is sure to fail.

jeffh 02-13-2013 09:46 PM

I know folks who run it this way without any issue at all. all oversized tires. 265's 285's etc...

grandkodiak 02-14-2013 08:13 AM

wedge a block of wood between the tire and bumper for support and to send the load through to the chassis instead of vibrating/wobbling on the spare tire carrier

greenharoguy 02-14-2013 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321 (Post 377984)
That was sort of my line of thought. Hence the roof rack mount for mine :D

Just be careful with that. I have seen a couple guys take their jack off their racks, and as they were coming down went through one of their windows. High lifts are a heavy commodity, and when you find yourself needing it, your probably going to be in a rush, and your probably going to be in some ****ty terrain and having a hard time finding secure footing. Just be careful, because if it doesnt go through your window, it could go on your head, or maybe a double whamy of hitting your window then hitting your head, and just for a plot twist your truck burst into flames and causes a forest fire ;) But in all seriousness, for normal driving, the rack is a perfect space to store it, but before you go offroading, its probably a good idea to put it in the footwell of the backseat. I am sure someone is going to pipe in and say how they have never had any accidents while taking theirs down, and that may be the case, but theres always next time. The way I see it, why not eliminate as many chances as possible of having something go wrong in a situation when you need to use your hi lift? As for a mounting point, if your real keen on putting it outside of the cab, why don't you just put it on your rear bumper? Its a long flat mounting point, and if you do it right, it wont ever be in the way of opening the door, and it wont put much stress on anything, although it might cover up the bumper lights (Whatevs). The only issue then, is what if you need it, but its being pressed up against a rock, or its 2 feet underwater. Theres never really a perfect spot to put it on the outside of the vehicle. I have mine mounted inside along the footwell of the backseat (3 studs and a wing nut) and even that isnt the best spot.

hilltoppersx 02-14-2013 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by greenharoguy (Post 378190)
Just be careful with that. I have seen a couple guys take their jack off their racks, and as they were coming down went through one of their windows. High lifts are a heavy commodity, and when you find yourself needing it, your probably going to be in a rush,

if you are in a rush you don't need a hi lift. you need a winch. rushing around with a hi lift is how people get hurt and killed

greenharoguy 02-14-2013 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx (Post 378204)
if you are in a rush you don't need a hi lift. you need a winch. rushing around with a hi lift is how people get hurt and killed

Wich is exactly what I said. Most people who have high lifts dont have a winch, for example Wreckdriver. In wich case, they are going to be stumbling around trying to get their high lift..................