Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   High Idle Temps....2004 Disco....Thoughts? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/high-idle-temps-2004-disco-thoughts-86423/)

dtmbinb 10-12-2017 03:41 PM

High Idle Temps....2004 Disco....Thoughts?

So, I have a 4 month old Turner 4.6 with all new oem hoses, genuine 180 thermostat, new Nissens radiator, and new water pump. New HD clutch and fan blade and a perfect working aux fan. Running temps are 188-201 most of the time. 203-206 on uphill grades for extended periods. Ok, fine. But at red lights, I idle at 203-210. It drops down to 195-201 as soon as I'm moving. I'm stumped. System is bled properly. I had these same temps on my old motor. Anything below 212 does not bother me with the top hat liners. I just don't know why it idles so warm compared to other Discos. Again, the temps don't bother me, I'm just curious if any of you see the same. I know 03 and 04's tend to run warmer with the lack of an oil cooler, so maybe I'm right where I should be. Thoughts?

Dave03S 10-12-2017 03:51 PM

Did you try topping off coolant through the bleeder screw when the engine is stone cold?

I gained a few degrees doing that after it was "properly bled."

Any small bubbles should collect there.

Also if you run the heat on high it will flush any small remaining bubbles out of the heater core.

dtmbinb 10-12-2017 04:05 PM

Dave - I did that repeatedly the first two weeks. Check it every week, and it's full. No more air.

KingKoopa 10-12-2017 04:11 PM

What brand water pump? Possible impeller slippage.

What are your ambient Temps in Maryland right now? Honestly all your Temps seem a bit high for an entirely new system. Not dangerous but not optimal either.

KingKoopa 10-12-2017 04:14 PM

And BTW, with top hats and head studs you should be perfectly fine with temp spikes to 230.

Obviously you shouldnt be seeing anything like unless you are towing a very heavy load uphill in the middle of summer, but don't freak out about tipping a little over on 212 on occasion. That's nothing.

dtmbinb 10-12-2017 04:15 PM

Water pump came from Turner. Not sure of the brand. Ambient temps are around 70 degrees today. To be honest, even at 90 degrees my temps are about the same. It never comes close to overheating. It will idle at 204-208 all day long. Weird. Temps don't worry me a bit. Just don't know why it does it with all new components.

Red5 10-12-2017 04:38 PM

My '04 does exactly that. I normally see low 180s but if sit for a while at a light, or in stop and go traffic, it's into the mid 190s. As soon as I'm moving again, I'm under 185 quickly. I have the HD clutch and new pump, but factory block and rad. Mine does not vary much in regard to the ambient temp.

jamestfl 10-12-2017 04:39 PM

Yeah, those temps seem a bit high. My truck ran cooler, like 185-192 in South Florida in the summer. You're in Md? I'm just south of Bmore. Could be lots of things. Some folks have trouble with the thermos, I did and went inline, no probs since then. Check to make sure all hoses are routed properly and the clamps are tight. Could also be a heater core that needs flushed.

dtmbinb 10-12-2017 04:42 PM

All clamps and hoses are new oem. Routed properly and no leaks. No air in the system. I've tried another genuine 180 thermostat with the same results. Heater core flows freely and was flushed in the last year. Heat is hot and a.c. is cold. I'm stumped.

The Deputy 10-12-2017 05:12 PM

Is your A/C condenser nice and clean, and not a lot of bent fins? Might be blocking airflow, if dirt/plugged up.

Brian.