Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   HIGH MILEAGE with NO MAJOR PROBLEMS (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/high-mileage-no-major-problems-72684/)

Rover144 03-20-2015 08:16 AM

HIGH MILEAGE with NO MAJOR PROBLEMS

Auto forums are, understandably, full of posts about problems. I get that. But it would be great to hear from folks with high mileage Discos (guess that would be most) who have had no major problems. AND what they attribute their success to, be it a service schedule, anticipatory maintenance/replacement, a particular product etc.

steb4680 03-20-2015 08:29 AM

That doesn't exist in my world.,

jimvw57 03-20-2015 08:30 AM

I would say MOST LR owners have few problems and do the normal maintenance at the scheduled times, and have a competent mechanic / shop take care of their vehicle. Those people would have little use for this type of forum and you will never hear from them. What would they say?? No Problems?? It's the rest of us who get the LR that has been neglected and abused that take the time to find the problem and make it right that have a big need for these forums. Which is fine by me.

The cars I have owned that don't have any problems get driven, and when it has problems, I trade it in for something else. I have a lot more fun with the ones I have to dig into to keep them running. But that's just me I guess.

dusty1 03-20-2015 08:50 AM

c/p from other;
they exist.....the problem is that people rarely feel compelled to come on the boards when they don't have issues. it is human nature that complaint is louder than compliment.......the whole "if a tree falls......"
my '08 dodge hemi 4x4 p/u has 84k and is on 3rd tranny and has left me stranded with various issues about 14 times...so frustrating that the last time it happened I left it on the side of the road and walked to a chevy dealership.
my '00 disco has left me stranded 1 time because I abused it, offroad, and broke stuff.
I did head gaskets and a power steering pump......everything else has been offroad related damage. previous '01 had head gaskets at 150ish. no other issues.

drowssap 03-20-2015 08:53 AM

those Dodge Ram transmissions sucked from day one

dusty1 03-20-2015 08:55 AM

I have that one in my drive now.....willing to trade for a disco :)

cybercop 03-20-2015 08:56 AM

What is considered high mileage?

With the D2, that could be a very relative term!

Rover144 03-20-2015 09:16 AM

You are correct. "High mileage" is subjective. Industry average, I am told, is 12-15,000mi/yr. The newest DiscoII would likely have in excess of 120,000 miles unless it was "low mileage" ( yeah, another used car dealer phrase).

film842 03-20-2015 10:55 AM

My 02 disco just hit 141k with no head gasket issues. Only issue has been a water pump replacement in all that time. Under preemptive maintenance however, I have just had a full tune up plus new timing chain, oil pump etc plus new TF springs and shocks.

On one hand I've kept up the maintenance but on the other hand I've driven the wheels off of it. I'm just so used to it always running well, that I don't give it much thought.

If I read these forums, I get the impression that my head gaskets will go at any minute, but on the other hand, aren't there discos out there with more mileage than mine and no HG issues? This is a question that I ponder frequently because I have some road trip plans in the future and I wonder if I should just get the headgaskets replaced and be done with it.

For what it's worth, I did just order an Ultragauge and 180 degree thermostat to keep closer track of running temps.

Darover 03-21-2015 02:17 PM

Seriously don't hold your breath. I was a member of my local Land rover club, and all Discos are plagued with problems. Most owners get rid of them because they are sick of having to deal with problems, and not because they have no use for them anymore.

That is why the company didn't carry the ''Discovery'' name onto the LR3 in North America. That name was synonym with catastrophic reliability, and they were afraid that the name alone would steer people away. But a few poor souls like us, still love these things.