Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill descent doesn't illuminate or work; no warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, took instrument cluaster apart during lunch hour... "bulbs" removed for HDC! (warning) and TC

hmmmm

Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roverbob
ok, took instrument cluaster apart during lunch hour... "bulbs" removed for HDC! (warning) and TC

hmmmm
This was my situation as well. I had to get a new cluster (thankfully quite inexpensive), but now I have to get the miles synced up. (Also had to do some serious research into getting all my warning lights to illuminate properly as my truck was equipped with SLS and ACE - another forum member helped me out to try and get it working... I have yet to put it in, so I'm not sure if it worked!)

Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Three Wheeling

bulbs replaced. wrong colors. now tc and HDC! are lit up

Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Three Wheeling

so i guess i have the 2 amigos?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Bulbs removed? Sounds like a dishonest dealer to me. If your local laws allow any way to back out at this point, back out!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Bulbs removed? Sounds like a dishonest dealer to me. If your local laws allow any way to back out at this point, back out!
actually, private party... 105k miles seller claimed it had a "bad gasket" and was asking 1000$

i paid him 1250 and got a set of $3000 rims with it...

and the head gasket was fine, he just had no idea how to add coolant

he puchased it from garden state auto auction in elizabeth NJ... anyone with an IQ over 15 knowns not to buy a car there so it goes without saying this thing will be basket case, but it's my 3rd disco and i feel fairly confident in my abilities.

I've noticed an excessive amount of engine braking when i let off the gas and searching with the new info is making me wonder if it's the brake switch or the slabs ecu...

Can I replace the slabs ecu with a slabs from any other d2? or is this something that has to match up exactly to the options? i've been reading through the raVE and it seems like there are some things that can be turned on or off through test book... or is that just on the BCU?

are the sun roofs supposed to close automatically on the sd? they close when you turn the car off in my SE so does this mean i have a problem with the BCU?

where can i get testbook h/w // s/w ??

at this point any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Three Wheeling

also, forgot to mention for entertainments sake... this truck seems to have a brush guard off of a freelander... though the brush gaurd DOES have genuine LR sticker near the brakets that hold it on (they go through horrible holes in the bumper) it doesn't say discovery on it and it's nearly impossible to open the hood because there is not enough clearance between the B.G. and the hood to get your hand in to reach the safety catch

Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Update

so, my traction control didn't work nor did my HDC... as it turns out bulbs were removed from the instruments and after fixing this i realized the TC light was always on.

Had to pull prop shaft anyway for rebuild, locked center diff (abs light came on when i started the car bc of this obviously) and tho it knew to show me abs light it took the car a few miles of driving to decide to show me the CDL warning light.

i got another slabs ecu off ebay for 45$ shipped.

(edit: unlocked CDL and replaced propshaft after complete rebuild)

plugged it in, key to on.. tc light on... tc light off.

tc light stayed off.

TC works

HDC works

so in closing:
If you're abs works but TC and HDC don't... while it might be the brake switch? i'm told... For me at least it was the SLABS ECU.