Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Hitch Mounted Dirt Bike Hauler - w/ Spare Tire On (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/hitch-mounted-dirt-bike-hauler-w-spare-tire-48885/)

TripleThreat 04-10-2012 10:34 AM

Hitch Mounted Dirt Bike Hauler - w/ Spare Tire On

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a dirt bike hauler that mounts in the rear hitch that can be used with the spare tire left in place?

While I have a nice 7-1/2 x 18 enclosed aluminum trailer that I can haul the bike in when I'm planning a long stay in a campground, occasionally it would be nice to just throw a bike on the back of the Disco II when pulling a trailer is not practical in more remote locations.

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Jeff

ralphobell 04-10-2012 06:54 PM

I purchased one of these for my disco 2. Hitch Extender with Step or you could use this as well http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...der-98677.html
I was given a custom cargo carrier that when placed in my receiver it rubbed against the bumper. It is rated up to 4K lbs.

mx468 04-10-2012 08:41 PM

Its called a mx hauler, it goes in your hitch and you put your bike on sideways and the bike stays on by two pins which go through the footpegs. Here's a link. Ultimate MX Hauler - Black

Disco Mike 04-11-2012 08:53 AM

Hope you have installed some new HD coils in the rear.

TripleThreat 04-11-2012 10:15 PM

Ended up ordering a Hitch Hauler from Summit Racing products. Should arrive tomorrow and I pick up the new bike on the 21st.

No need for HD Coils. Have a band new set of factory air bags and the weight of the dirt bike is under 275 lbs. Much less than I might load in the rear cargo area of the Rover when packed for vacation plus the tongue weight of the 7-1/2 x 18 trailer that I've pulled with the Rover.

Should be no issue at all... Assuming the bike clears the spare tire...

I'll test it out with a buddy's bike before I drive all the way to Michigan...

mx468 04-11-2012 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 312348)
Hope you have installed some new HD coils in the rear.

Listen to Disco Mike on the HD coils in rear, I learned the hard way, I raced motocross for three years and had to lug my bike, gear, etc... to and from races/practice, now my rear springs are sagging and now looking for springs, shocks, lift 2". Probaly going with the terrafirmas.

mx468 04-11-2012 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by TripleThreat (Post 312565)
Ended up ordering a Hitch Hauler from Summit Racing products. Should arrive tomorrow and I pick up the new bike on the 21st.

No need for HD Coils. Have a band new set of factory air bags and the weight of the dirt bike is under 275 lbs. Much less than I might load in the rear cargo area of the Rover when packed for vacation plus the tongue weight of the 7-1/2 x 18 trailer that I've pulled with the Rover.

Should be no issue at all... Assuming the bike clears the spare tire...

I'll test it out with a buddy's bike before I drive all the way to Michigan...

You should have cleareance, I hauled a crf 250 on back with no problems, make sure you strap the front wheel with a tiedown or bungie cord so it doesn't swing back and forth.

TripleThreat 01-02-2013 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
By the way... I never posted my final solution:

Attachment 42007

I did end up having to extend the main tube by 2" to gain a little extra clearance between the foot peg and the spare tire, but I'm very happy with the result.

2rovers 01-02-2013 09:47 AM

I have a suzuki DR650 that comes in at 350 pounds. I have not had any problems hauling it on a carrier rated for 400 pounds. The front of the rover sits up a little higher, but other than that it hasn't affected anything. I also do not use it every weekend like that. It has been on the back five or six times at most so far. As in the above picture I also have to load it backwards up the ramp so the spare tire doesn't interfere with the handlebars. I also place cardboard or sheets in between the tire and the plastic on the bike or it will rub a mark into the bike's plastic. I don't know the brand, but my carrier is the exact same one in the picture. I bought mine on craigslist for $120.

jeffh 01-02-2013 01:03 PM

looks great. Did you change our your springs...
You see when you load you put stuff inside.. over the axle. This is how load ratings are scheduled. you have taken an extra 300 lbs off the back from a central point. This makes the 300 lbs closer to a load rating of 500 lbs. You may have air bags but you are beating the living **** out of them. DO yourself and you truck favor and get the HD springs. it will offset the rear hanging weight the way it needs. Just my 2 cents.