Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   HMMM lot of part left over?? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/hmmm-lot-part-left-over-24616/)

IDAHODISCO 08-28-2009 10:42 PM

HMMM lot of part left over??

Well guys I am replacing my head gasket and I have the engein down to the block and in th emiddle of rebuilding the heads! My question is I picked this set up http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC4082BK.cfm Look how many dif sizes and shaps I have not seen any of this during the break down??? How can I find out where all of the rings and etc goes this set is all in open bags in a box no # or names!!!
Thanks guys

lipadj46 08-28-2009 10:48 PM

Most of the little pieces are for rebuilding your cylinder heads. You are not going to do that unless you are super hardcore.

IDAHODISCO 08-28-2009 11:10 PM

No I am NOT haha, I am deeper than I ever thought I would be I have a pile of part in my garage!
Thats what I was thinking I just wish they had some names on the extras sucks!

lipadj46 08-28-2009 11:15 PM

It's kind of scary after you get your cylinder heads off and you look at your engine bay and then look at your garage and the big pile of parts and bolts. Everything goes together a lot faster than it came off. Getting all those bolts off is the hardest part. Good luck let us know how it goes. Don't skip getting the cyl. heads planed

IDAHODISCO 08-29-2009 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by lipadj46 (Post 135223)
It's kind of scary after you get your cylinder heads off and you look at your engine bay and then look at your garage and the big pile of parts and bolts. Everything goes together a lot faster than it came off. Getting all those bolts off is the hardest part. Good luck let us know how it goes. Don't skip getting the cyl. heads planed

Ya $90 bucks to recondition and thats done $185 to rebuild heads but I am half way done with that lots of cleaning on some of the valves and a sore back!
Man I hope your right Getting all those bolts off was hell and five trips to Nampa Auto in the work van.

Also I noticed the cyclender will rock very very slightly also if I fill up a cyclender head with degreaser it will leak through? What do you think about that?

98roverguy 08-29-2009 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by IDAHODISCO (Post 135227)
Also I noticed the cyclender will rock very very slightly also if I fill up a cyclender head with degreaser it will leak through? What do you think about that?

What?

lipadj46 08-29-2009 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by IDAHODISCO (Post 135227)

Not sure as I recall though I left some coolant sitting in mine overnight (did not see it after removed the heads) and it did not leak through. Degreaser may be a different story but why are you spraying degreaser in the cylinders?

IDAHODISCO 09-01-2009 10:43 PM

Well its all done and she started first try!!
Man that Sucked but I know for shure what it was cleaned and done with care I even rebuilt the heads my self, not bad for a guy with Zero exp LOL.

So I have only slow drived arround the block with the fresh cheep oil and old hp-3001 oil filter now how long do I need to drive or run it before new filter and good oil change??
Thanks

StevenDiscoII 09-02-2009 12:01 AM

So, seem like everything went well. No parts left over.....she started.....no parts fell-off after start-up? Good job. Post some pics. I'll take and post some after my second head gasket job. l.o.l.

grussell 09-02-2009 10:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is some pictures of my head gasket job. I had already completed the induction cleaning with Seafoam and the throttle body cleaning and ran a can of Seafoam through the gas, but look how dirty the air plenum was when I pulled it apart. The intake manifold was just as dirty. Had a bit of varnish inside too. This was my first major job on an engine and it was not as bad as I expected. The swivel impact socket set is a must along with the impact extension set. I used 5 cans of carb cleaner to clean my intake and plenum. I found 1 intake manifold bolt was not real tight and the rear valley pan gasket bolt was loose. The upper bell housing was very dirty.